Need an ID for green algae balls forming on rocks

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am just looking for an ID and maybe some tips to remove the green algae balls forming on my rocks. (Yes, I am working on the Cyanobacteria with doses of Cyanococlean).

If it is a form of hair algae, I do plan on adding some turbo snails to remove it. The tank is a year old if that helps for any information.

Thanks for any help!

IMG_20231108_125147.jpg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am just looking for an ID and maybe some tips to remove the green algae balls forming on my rocks. (Yes, I am working on the Cyanobacteria with doses of Cyanococlean).

If it is a form of hair algae, I do plan on adding some turbo snails to remove it. The tank is a year old if that helps for any information.

Thanks for any help!

IMG_20231108_125147.jpg
Can I get a straight on photo? Looks alittle distorted with the glass. Probably some sort of turf algae, though I'm not sure

OP
OP
Wuffletoast

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Balls are velonia
Glad it's not bubble aglae, but it was one of the only descriptive features I could come up with. I didn't realize turf was a thing or a better description.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it's not bubble aglae, but it was one of the only descriptive features I could come up with. I didn't realize turf was a thing or a better description.
You should probably look up Valonia and the methods for controlling it. I like my foxface, some employ mithrax crabs. Some just do manual removal but it can be controlled. That turf algae suggests that you have excess P and NO3. Slow down on your fish food to help with that issue.

OP
OP
Wuffletoast

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should probably look up Valonia and the methods for controlling it. I like my foxface, some employ mithrax crabs. Some just do manual removal but it can be controlled. That turf algae suggests that you have excess P and NO3. Slow down on your fish food to help with that issue.
I have started reducing the food to spot feeding and lowered the standard lighting. I guess I'm not seeing the Valonia you are referring to. Or are you saying research as a preventative measure?

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valonia is the worst algae to have.. I would read about how to exterminate it before it spreads.. Options including binning the zoas would be perfectly acceptable.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back