Hair algae

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hooking it up to a water supply. Easiest way would be to hook it up to a sink faucet

I'll jump in on the RO/DI water. I have a four stage system, hooked up to an outdoor faucet. My water can, a 20 gal brute is in the kitchen. Both the inline and out line (waste water) go out through a small hole in the window screen. I mounted the unit over the water can. I have to actually go outside, turn on faucet (have a split faucet so have to choose which hose) and set a timer so I don't forget and flood kitchen (like I did today...) I take a length of pvc and insert waste line so water goes into garden until I get an outside waste water barrel to use to water garden.

it's far worth it to get your own. I choose spectrum, got it from Amazon and it has 2 meters to measure in and out numbers as I wanted something good and name brand. Upside is, I make water for household use as well. I looked into buying water from a water store and way too costly and I have no fish store close by. With as many water changes as I've done in my first 7.5 months, well worth it.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I also just finished round one of fluconazle for bryopsis and hair algae. 14 days took nearly all of it out. Will be redosing after I treat with chemi clean for cyano--my p04 bottomed out. Chemicals have their place esp. as the algae was strangling some of my corals and no amt of anything else even made a dent in it. I have a thread under the algae forum and there is a great sticky there on bryopsis and fluconazle. Does work on gha as well, just takes longer.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I also just finished round one of fluconazle for bryopsis and hair algae. 14 days took nearly all of it out. Will be redosing after I treat with chemi clean for cyano--my p04 bottomed out. Chemicals have their place esp. as the algae was strangling some of my corals and no amt of anything else even made a dent in it. I have a thread under the algae forum and there is a great sticky there on bryopsis and fluconazle. Does work on gha as well, just takes longer.
Just got done reading that thread. Great documentation.

OP
OP
C

clownvalk3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmed this thread so may have missed a few things.
First, stop using tap water. You must use clean water as there are literally hundreds of problems that can arise. If you ever want to keep anything but the basics. You must start with clean water.
Second, absolutely trim back on your whites. Too much light from LED's can actually harm your corals and cause all kinds of bad things.
Third, make sure you have enough flow in the tank. Bad algae tends to appear in low flow areas and spread from there.
Fourth, emerald crabs are one of the few things that do an effective job at eating hair algae. However, they can cause problems with softey corals. Make sure you get females. They are easily distinguishable and your local fish store can probably help out.
Lastly, check your levels often...especially as the tank goes through different cycles.

I have an emerald crab and he isn't doing much should I Get a couple more, or something else?

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta find that balance between nutrient import and export. Controlled feedings with proper filtration is key. I myself went with a oversized skimmer and a Rev4 L4 ATS from @Floyd R Turbo. I reworked the way I feed using candy trays to recube my frozen food mixture. It really helps.
I hope this helps and good luck!

I odered plastic ones off of amazon. Total PITA. my next round ill be picking up the silicone ones

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back