Hair algae

Mast33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I need some advice and tips for hair algae in 2 of my tanks. I've dosed Flux,vibrant, algae management. I've scrubbed rocks completely clean and I am still fighting hair algae. I don't know what else to do. Parameters nitrate 14 in one tank 8 in the other. Phos .06 in one and .11 in other. Salinity 1.026 in both. 0 nitrite and Ammonia. Thank you

fltt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank is it? What do you have for a clean up crew?

OP
OP
M

Mast33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45 and 32 gallon. A cleaner shrimp in each and a few nassarius snails

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 is a bit high for me, but all to what a person likes for their tank ..I been reading some people posts that vibrant has some concerns if you use it.
I use Brightwell Bio Fuel, kinda works like the theory of vodka dosing but without any risks of sugar..It helps reduce nitrate and PO4 which in turn reduces the nutrients that algae, cyno etc need...Check out their website for the product..It is like 1 cap (5ml) per 100 tank gallons....

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some of the larger mexican turbo snails, they usually do pretty decent work on GHA. They can be monster trucks though if you don't have frags glued down.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Reefcleaners.org and get a cleaner package for each tank. You basically have no CuC at all at this point. Beyond that I've found that live phyto dosing helps tremendously.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I need some advice and tips for hair algae in 2 of my tanks. I've dosed Flux,vibrant, algae management. I've scrubbed rocks completely clean and I am still fighting hair algae. I don't know what else to do. Parameters nitrate 14 in one tank 8 in the other. Phos .06 in one and .11 in other. Salinity 1.026 in both. 0 nitrite and Ammonia. Thank you
The presence of algae just means it is not being eaten fast enough. I like the Mexican turbo but could be too large and can knock over things. Also when the algae is gone you will need to feed it. I have 15 large ones left over from my algae cleanup. They are now pets that I feed daily not just a clean crew.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What kind of light are you running and how long?

Back