Hair algae

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phos is slightly elevated. Adding Chemipure Blue in the sump will help keep it in check
FWIW I run my PO4 between 0.07 and 0.10 and I don't have any GHA. I also run a fuge though. I keep it slightly elevated as I don't have the ULR hanna yet and I don't want it bottoming out, dino's suck. My dumbarse bought the LR one by mistake.... so with with a +/- of 0.04 I keep at a min 0.07 so given the potential error rate I'm still at the least 0.03.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
FWIW I run my PO4 between 0.07 and 0.10 and I don't have any GHA. I also run a fuge though. I keep it slightly elevated as I don't have the ULR hanna yet and I don't want it bottoming out, dino's suck. My dumbarse bought the LR one by mistake.... so with with a +/- of 0.04 I keep at a min 0.07 so given the potential error rate I'm still at the least 0.03.
Been running .04-.05 for 8 years with no issues. As it elevates cyano is an end result.

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running .04-.05 for 8 years with no issues. As it elevates cyano is an end result.
Mine dips a bit daily too, still trying to dial in the tank on how much to feed to keep PO4 where I want. Sometimes dosing PO4 if it gets too low. I have considered losing the fuge, but the pH dips a bit more than I would like without it overnight. I'm going to be adding a dosing pump here shortly to dose overnight periodically, at that point I may remove the fuge as the pH should be more stable with the dosing I think.

Agree though, wouldn't want to run PO4 elevated where I have it without a fuge or something to consume it. 0.05 is that sweet spot :)

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA in your DT is your current export system. You either need to run a refugium or turf scrubber where you can harvest from there or use gfo. Also, thaw the mysis and drain off the liquid before feeding.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the rocks out and scrub them under hot water with a brass brush. You will have to do this for quit some time but you will win. As BRS said it took you months to get to that stage. It will take just as long to straighten it out. I inherited a tank that got full of it, and my son using reef roids was a huge contributor. So figure out what you are doing to get your nutrients so high

MON

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fighting hair algae and have tried urchins, crabs and other clean ups. Im gonna start doing larger water changes what else can I do
I did some experiments.
・ Raise the Mg level
・ REEF FLUX
・ Flux Rx
・ Removal by living organisms
・ Use of H2O2

These are summarized here.

However, it is in Japanese.
Translate with Chrome.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back