HairyGary

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Little update:

Aquascape the rock with lots of hiding spaces. Just need to glue some straggler frags.

77E82B2C-0182-472D-88BD-F5B0B1836528.jpeg
59FDD88A-D07F-40E1-86F3-627610D9CCF8.jpeg

Cord maintenance under the stand done and just need to clean up cords coming from LED and T5 fixture.

068AEB91-F57C-4C6C-9F96-F60A4E8573D2.jpeg

2044AB86-9BB5-4D7B-8F94-1E458FAD64C5.jpeg

mlb75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, what light or combo is that and what skimmer are you using? Any concern that cleaning the skimmer will be a PITA? Did you think about a fuge? Also curious what kind of evap you've currently experiencing. How loud is the overflow? I'm thinking using both the factory holes as drains with a full siphon on one with a backup and either taking the return up the back or drilling another hole and bulkhead in the overflow. Stand looks great, with the tank being frameless any concern about not having supports under the center portion of the top?

OP
OP
HairyGary

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good, what light or combo is that and what skimmer are you using? Any concern that cleaning the skimmer will be a PITA? Did you think about a fuge? Also curious what kind of evap you've currently experiencing. How loud is the overflow? I'm thinking using both the factory holes as drains with a full siphon on one with a backup and either taking the return up the back or drilling another hole and bulkhead in the overflow. Stand looks great, with the tank being frameless any concern about not having supports under the center portion of the top?

Thanks! I currently have a G4 Pro attached to a 24" 4 bulb AquaticLife Hybrid. I am running 2 Blue + and 2 Coral + T5 bulbs. With regard to the skimmer, I am running a RO Regal 150 SSS. It has been great and pulls lots of crap. No issues with removing the cup and cleaning the neck but keep in mind I built my stand tall.

This one - https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/regal-150sss-6-space-saving-protein-skimmer-varios-reef-octopus.html

My overflow is not loud at all. I hear a little trickle once the water hits my sump but I have no angles in the overflow drop so bound to happen. As far as evap goes I think that depends on your location. I am in MN so it is dry now and I have a 5 gallon container. I have to fill every 5-6 days.

No issue on weight for the frameless tank. The edges are on the 2x4's and I have a 3/4" top with a center support. You can see the center support where my plumbing is connected in the pics.

I don't know if there is enough room to safely drill another hole in this tank or for the piping. If you want to do two overflows and you think it will be quieter, I would run the return external and make it a herbie. But like I said, no issues with the durso.

Good luck!

OP
OP
HairyGary

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So haven’t posted in a while but thought I would give update.

Things were going swimmingly until a little over a month ago. I had 6 wrasse and my white tail tang eating like pigs and getting along great. But they all died within two weeks after I noticed what I thought was ich at first but turned out to be velvet. They all died a little over a month ago. I was going to maintain at first because I thought it was ich but the white tail had too many spots for ich so I think it was velvet. I thought it was gone at points and then noticed it in the evening more. Whitetail died first after a little over a week once I noticed it and then it wiped out all my wrasse. Cleaner first, then both juvenile Rhomboids, exquisite. My flame and Brunneus lasted the longest but both died in QT. The Brunneus was with me for almost 2 years. I was lucky enough to trap them in my acclimation box instead of dismantling the tank to remove them. I FE dipped and then 75 min in Ruby Reef. They died in cupramine treatment within a week. I do t know if they succumbed to the velvet or died from not eating. They were swimming but just not eating.

Now I am about 1 month fallow. I feed the tank and corals with mysis and reef roids once a week and have had my skimmer on and off. Trying to maintain some dirty water for my SPS and LPS.

So after years of playing with fire and no QT, I have a QT system set up. A 20L for observation and prazi treatments and two 10 gallons got TTM. Right now I have three wrasse my LFS ordered for me and just competed first round of prazi.

My wrasse list is pretty extensive but these three are great start. They are eating like pigs.

Wrasse -QT.jpg

C. rhombodalis
C. Lineatus
C. Isosceles

Doing water change today and then second round of prazi on Tuesday night.

But now need to make decision on whether I start QTing corals and inverts.

Hmmmmm....

Jerry Ebner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So haven’t posted in a while but thought I would give update.

Things were going swimmingly until a little over a month ago. I had 6 wrasse and my white tail tang eating like pigs and getting along great. But they all died within two weeks after I noticed what I thought was ich at first but turned out to be velvet. They all died a little over a month ago. I was going to maintain at first because I thought it was ich but the white tail had too many spots for ich so I think it was velvet. I thought it was gone at points and then noticed it in the evening more. Whitetail died first after a little over a week once I noticed it and then it wiped out all my wrasse. Cleaner first, then both juvenile Rhomboids, exquisite. My flame and Brunneus lasted the longest but both died in QT. The Brunneus was with me for almost 2 years. I was lucky enough to trap them in my acclimation box instead of dismantling the tank to remove them. I FE dipped and then 75 min in Ruby Reef. They died in cupramine treatment within a week. I do t know if they succumbed to the velvet or died from not eating. They were swimming but just not eating.

Now I am about 1 month fallow. I feed the tank and corals with mysis and reef roids once a week and have had my skimmer on and off. Trying to maintain some dirty water for my SPS and LPS.

So after years of playing with fire and no QT, I have a QT system set up. A 20L for observation and prazi treatments and two 10 gallons got TTM. Right now I have three wrasse my LFS ordered for me and just competed first round of prazi.

My wrasse list is pretty extensive but these three are great start. They are eating like pigs.

Wrasse -QT.jpg

C. rhombodalis
C. Lineatus
C. Isosceles

Doing water change today and then second round of prazi on Tuesday night.

But now need to make decision on whether I start QTing corals and inverts.

Hmmmmm....
I'd QT inverts and corals too just to be safe. (Seperate tank) Sorry to hear you had such s loss..

Hi.Gene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I love and hate cube tanks. Love the look and dimensions, but hate that they sometimes limit you on fish selection.

OP
OP
HairyGary

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great! I love and hate cube tanks. Love the look and dimensions, but hate that they sometimes limit you on fish selection.
Thanks! Yeah bigger tank would have been great but I like the footprint of this tank for the space I have. Next tank will be peninsula.

mlb75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the loss, I know I'd be pretty devastated if I lost all my fish, I've had most of them for 5-10 years at this point. Good luck with the reset. Any issues with the wrasses jumping out of the tank or do you have a lid of some sort? Most of the wrasses I've tried over the years have ended up on the floor so I gave up.

OP
OP
HairyGary

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry about the loss, I know I'd be pretty devastated if I lost all my fish, I've had most of them for 5-10 years at this point. Good luck with the reset. Any issues with the wrasses jumping out of the tank or do you have a lid of some sort? Most of the wrasses I've tried over the years have ended up on the floor so I gave up.
Thanks. So far so good on these first three wrasses in QT.

I do keep a screen top to prevent that from happening. Never had one jump out in my other tank but did have a lid there as well. I did however have a purple tilefish that jumped every time I pulled the lid off for maintenance. He was bulletproof. Had to get rid of him as he outgrew the tank.

OP
OP
HairyGary

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are your wrasse doing?
Thanks for asking. Well so far. Been three weeks in QT and 2 rounds of Prazi. I think my Rhombodalis has a internal parasite and am trying to get that figured out as he is a finicky eater and can smell the Metro and Focus a mile away. Soaking it in Selcon tonight. We shall see. Also in the middle of TTM for any possible ICH but they are very clean and eating well otherwise.

My tank is fallow until about June 2. Once I get these guys through TTM on May 11, I plan to put them back into a 20L for observation until then. I have my LFS hunting for a couple other wrasse gems for QT next week.

Funny how concentrating on thee QT fish that my DT is just cruising along.

OP
OP
HairyGary

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Flukes and internal parasites... The wrasse ailments. At least flukes are a little easier to deal with. What are you feeding?

Mysis and Fish Frenzy usually soaked in Selcon or Lipo Garlic. Just trying to figure out the proper masking for the Metro + Focus soaked food.

How's your C. Brunneus? I have another one coming.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back