OP
HairyGary

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He's doing wonderful. Him and the C. lubbocki get along great. I love the C. rhomboidalis and I want another Cf. pylei.
The C. Brunneus and the C. Rhombodalis are on the laid back portion on the spectrum for aggressiveness. The Pylei is one you have to watch. Can get aggressive.

OP
OP
HairyGary

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea, I have evolved's chart saved on my phone. How's is the brunneus with the isosceles?
Don't know yet. I lost the one I had for about two years and am getting another. Will know more next month but I believe they would be fine. The Isosceles has a diamond tail and the Brunneus has a crescent tail with streamers. I believe TJ or Hunter mentioned a while back that that they had no issues in the past. My LFS has a wrasse only 220 with three C. Johnsonis and a C. Brunneus and they are fine. They have the same crescent tail and are in the same sub-group. BUT the terminal Johnsoni rules the whole tank. I have a Johnsoni coming and am a little concerned between it and the C. Brunneus but am putting him in last. Of course tank size may have some effect as well.

OP
OP
HairyGary

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A4A35829-A03A-4F06-9FA0-10D0FABC6F41.jpeg
5D3BBDCA-E468-4AA4-BB82-8AFDB62DAF5F.jpeg
One more month of a fishless DT but still chugging along.

Soon fishes soon.

001B384B-B3F3-484A-842D-B5E28BC00C4F.jpeg

OP
OP
HairyGary

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update: My fallow period ended about a week ago so I am doing a water change tonight and then placing my C. Lineatus and C. Isosceles into the display. Needless to say I am a little anxious and nervous I screwed something up and was really not fallow for 76 days. They have both been in QT for over two months and have gone through Prazi doses, TTM and even a couple doses of GC. My C. Rhomboidalis passed from what I think was an internal parasite. I could not get rid of the white stringy poo. Tried everything.

Anyhoo, those two go into the display tonight. ;Woot

And I have another two weeks on another little addition and three more coming into QT this week. Wrasse wrasse wrasse!

Maybe I'll add a non-wrasse at some point. Anthias? Swallowtails? Thoughts?

OP
OP
HairyGary

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
UPDATE:

Well as of Wed night after battling internal parasite of a couple of newbie wrasses that were in QT for almost 3 mos, I add them to my display after being fallow for over 120 days.

july-12-first-wrasses-in-2-jpg.788811

july-12-first-wrasses-in-jpg.788826

C. Isosceles and C. Lineatus - both submales.

I also have a few others fairies and flashers in QT now that I plan to add in the coming weeks.

As of right now, I am headed to an all wrasse reef but may change as my daughters want something different in the tank. They think I need something blue. But what?

Also, battling a little STN on a couple of corals due to raised ALK from being fishless I think. I also thinking about setting up QT coral tank in the near term to house the coral for 45 days to reduce likelihood of ich or velvet eggs attaching to the coral. But I may just risk it and place into DT without. Trying to decide.

OP
OP
HairyGary

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want to stay all wrasse and add a touch of blue, you could try a C. cyanopleura blueside wrasse. What is the new guy? A bit hard to make out.
Yeah thought about that one. Its a P. Attenuatus. Young one.

My kids are begging me for non-wrasse fish or as my wife says non-trout like. LOL. Maybe a Bellus female?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thought about that one. Its a P. Attenuatus. Young one.

My kids are begging me for non-wrasse fish or as my wife says non-trout like. LOL. Maybe a Bellus female?

Oooh, diamond tail. That's why it didn't look like a fairy. Female Bellus are so beautiful. I see nothing wrong with a tank full of "trout like" fish. ;Woot

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gorgeous tank, I wish I had found this thread sooner.

Just a comment on your plumbing, because I have a very similar set up and have found a flaw in my own. The check valve position is great to prevent back flow into the return pump... however you will get some back flow into the reactors you have on the manifold. It will be a very slow trickle but if the return shuts down for any reason you'll have back flow through the reactors. If its just for feeding no big deal, but careful if it ever shuts down could flood the sump depending on water level.

Your wrasse collection, and previous tanks, are gorgeous.

OP
OP
HairyGary

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
gorgeous tank, I wish I had found this thread sooner.

Just a comment on your plumbing, because I have a very similar set up and have found a flaw in my own. The check valve position is great to prevent back flow into the return pump... however you will get some back flow into the reactors you have on the manifold. It will be a very slow trickle but if the return shuts down for any reason you'll have back flow through the reactors. If its just for feeding no big deal, but careful if it ever shuts down could flood the sump depending on water level.

Your wrasse collection, and previous tanks, are gorgeous.
Hey - Thanks alot!

Yeah thanks for the heads up. I did think about that issue and another one popped up once I put all the electronics into place - not much room off the valves so if I add one in the future I'll have to rethink the manifold.

I got smoked from velvet back in February so I can relate to your thread title!

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey - Thanks alot!

Yeah thanks for the heads up. I did think about that issue and another one popped up once I put all the electronics into place - not much room off the valves so if I add one in the future I'll have to rethink the manifold.

I got smoked from velvet back in February so I can relate to your thread title!

It's so crazy what this hobby makes you go through. I lost 5 blue reef chromis to velvet or ich about 4 months ago (in QT thankfully), and have so far lost 5 of 6 blue green chromis to an unknown illness (3 of the 5 before copper was finished, then 2 more once introduced to the tank due to bullying I believe). Absolutely crazy.

OP
OP
HairyGary

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's so crazy what this hobby makes you go through. I lost 5 blue reef chromis to velvet or ich about 4 months ago (in QT thankfully), and have so far lost 5 of 6 blue green chromis to an unknown illness (3 of the 5 before copper was finished, then 2 more once introduced to the tank due to bullying I believe). Absolutely crazy.
No doubt I know how it goes. Lost a young Rhombodalis in QT after 6 weeks due to stubborn intestinal issue and just wirthered away. Then another one when I was on vacation to ammonia I think. Then my Isosceles after two weeks in the display due to what I think was head trauma. Had chunk out of the top of his head from jumping I think and then gone the next day. Just issue after issue in QT. Fingers crossed on the three I have in there now!

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt I know how it goes. Lost a young Rhombodalis in QT after 6 weeks due to stubborn intestinal issue and just wirthered away. Then another one when I was on vacation to ammonia I think. Then my Isosceles after two weeks in the display due to what I think was head trauma. Had chunk out of the top of his head from jumping I think and then gone the next day. Just issue after issue in QT. Fingers crossed on the three I have in there now!

It gets frustrating with wrasse... esp. the more delicate ones. The intestinal parasites almost all of them come in with can be challenging when they won't eat medicated food. Then they are so fast, and so prone to jumping and bashing their head into the screen or side of the tank.

Like a Ferrari in a Nascar race...

OP
OP
HairyGary

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It gets frustrating with wrasse... esp. the more delicate ones. The intestinal parasites almost all of them come in with can be challenging when they won't eat medicated food. Then they are so fast, and so prone to jumping and bashing their head into the screen or side of the tank.

Like a Ferrari in a Nascar race...
True statement. I had this long list of wrasse to add and have been abiding by it but tempted just keep a few favorites, including the Isosceles and Rhombodalis. I have not added a piece of coral in a while either due to hesitation about QT all things wet. Slippery slope to over analyzing and over researching.

OP
OP
HairyGary

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update:

ACC5E3E8-A6F6-4726-85E0-48F67C472D71.jpeg

706C8871-46A5-4F54-BA61-A180A2B7CCF7.jpeg

New baby in the DT.

Also switched over to Tropic Marin baling and so far parameters are getting in line.

Finally a shout out to Dave at @AquaticLife for super quick responses and the new ballast on my hybrid light fixture! Oh and the sweet new end caps!

OP
OP
HairyGary

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
C5CD9B87-B096-48AA-B113-EA4588AA908C.png

D9014C2F-72A0-4BC1-83BA-04C3E8D62984.jpeg

Well my C. Jordani is transitioning from female to male. Pretty cool to see.

Trying to figure out what two- three wrasse to add next.

Also, I am Using TM balling method for dosing now but my alk dropped to 5.6. I’ve increased part 2 by two fold to slowly raise it but only a tenth or two over the past two weeks. Anybody with any insight?

Part A (cal) and Part C have not been increased. Calcium level is 450 and has not budged.

PO4 at .03 and nitrates undetectable.

I am battling a little cyno in one spot but I attribute that to low Alk.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%

Back