Half bleached LTA?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Joined
Sep 5, 2014
Messages
91,598
Reaction score
96,669
Location
Massachusetts, United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an LTA that I asked about identifying here a couple of weeks ago. It is doing fine, and I’ve recently been feeding it fresh clam, but it is still half bleached, as it was when I bought it. I’m wondering how long such half and half scenarios continue. I have no objection to the look, but I sort of expected it to get better (or worse) by now.

Thanks for any comments.

IMG_3694.jpeg
 
I’ve found feeding bleached anemones zooplankton helps them create the zoox a bit better - small amounts of reef roids or straight up dosing zooplankton
 
The anemone anatomy is split into (I think) 6 sections, sort of like looking down at an orange slice. The “wedges” will greatly slow the movement of zooxanthellae around the disc. But even then, coloring doesn’t return quickly. I would expect 3+ months to get anywhere near normal coloring again. Just gotta be patient. 👍
 
Not a half-and-half scenario so it's not exactly what you're looking for, but it's not necessarily super long to at least get some zoox (sections infecting other sections definitely slower, but it can happen relatively fast). This was mine a week or two after getting it:

IMG_6797.jpg


and this was exactly 1 month later

IMG_6894.jpg


It took another month or two to get peak density but after another ~1 month it was acting normal. I noticed providing a bit of shade (by putting a small piece of printer paper or paper towel) on my lid directly over it to cut some light helped it look less photostressed and I noticed qualitatively quicker regeneration of zoox during that time (i.e. more light than petco, less than full strength for several weeks).
 
Thanks. I have been slowly ramping my lights overall so I don’t suspect it is getting light stressed. :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new