Halichoeres chrysus and Halichoeres malasmapomus?

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if these two can be kept together, more specifically in a 120g? My EarMuff is a male, looking to add a female yellow wrasse, (female until it turns male).

@evolved

Thanks!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning! The chrysus for sure won't care. The earmuff, I think it is risky. I have seen multiple Halichoeres kept together, but I haven't kept an earmuff.

Hunter (@evolved) isn't on this board anymore, unfortunately. His email is [email protected]

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning! The chrysus for sure won't care. The earmuff, I think it is risky. I have seen multiple Halichoeres kept together, but I haven't kept an earmuff.

Hunter (@evolved) isn't on this board anymore, unfortunately. His email is [email protected]
Thank you! I didn't know he left. Thanks for the feedback I was hoping it would be a better response but I had a feeling.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is probably a chance that it will work. I would check and see what Hunter says. I bet he'll email you back. I think he's more of a fairy/flasher wrasses guy, but he'll still have knowledge there.

I think @OrionN has a earmuff too

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is probably a chance that it will work. I would check and see what Hunter says. I bet he'll email you back. I think he's more of a fairy/flasher wrasses guy, but he'll still have knowledge there.

I think @OrionN has a earmuff too
Gotcha. Yea I can't find many hobbyist that have a earmuff. Not sure if it matters but I was also going to add a flasher and a Tanaka at the same time. The current earmuff is with a male yellow tail and male potters. Acclimation box will also be used.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an earmuff with two radiants that were added after it and smaller. No issues. There are two leopards and a China wrasse as well.

Mine are in a 80g.

Earmuffs while large are generally on the more docile side.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an earmuff with two radiants that were added after it and smaller. No issues. There are two leopards and a China wrasse as well.

Mine are in a 80g.

Earmuffs while large are generally on the more docile side.
That's good to hear. Is your earmuff a male?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to hear. Is your earmuff a male?

Nope though she is pretty large now… the biggest wrasse in my tank. One of the juvi radiants transitioned to male. Pretty dang fast too but perhaps since there was a second radiant… that spurred the transition!

My meanest wrasse is a female Kuiters leopard followed by my China wrasse.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope though she is pretty large now… the biggest wrasse in my tank. One of the juvi radiants transitioned to male. Pretty dang fast too but perhaps since there was a second radiant… that spurred the transition!

My meanest wrasse is a female Kuiters leopard followed by my China wrasse.
I can't keep any wrasses female, even if I have one of a specific family, they all go male. Wrasses are like sticks, you just want them all. Dream tank 200 gal SPS with all the wrasses lol.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't keep any wrasses female, even if I have one of a specific family, they all go male. Wrasses are like sticks, you just want them all. Dream tank 200 gal SPS with all the wrasses lol.
haha.. well both ear muffs and canary wrasses are more on the laid back side and you have a large tank so I would think chances are it should be ok even though the earmuff is so large. I use an acclimation box with new wrasses for a few days to let everyone calm down and get bored.

All of mine have stayed female except the radiant. My oldest wrasses have been with me 5 years. The radiant was tiny when I got it yet transitioned to male in a few short months! I keep expecting my Kuiter's to transition some day since she is large and in charge.

Fish sometimes just won't conform to norms though... my copperband chases around and bullies my yellow tang. :cool:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back