Halloween Hermit Molting Question

brobi

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 18, 2023
Messages
14
Reaction score
7
Location
Louisiana
What state or country do you live in
Louisiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Halloween hermit had been very active, then suddenly went into hiding. He is now completely out of his shell. Do these guys molt their "exoskeletons" or is molting just considered them swapping shells?

I do not have any other shells for him to go in to.
 
I've seen mine molt individual pieces, not a full exoskeleton, you might want to look into a few extra shells for him.
 
I've seen mine molt individual pieces, not a full exoskeleton, you might want to look into a few extra shells for him.
Gotcha. Hope he's not dying if that's the case. He's up under a rock so it's hard to observe, and don't want to poke at it.
 
Yes, they will go into hiding, or not moving for some time while they molt. It will shed the exoskeleton and you will see it around the tank somewhere.

When changing shells, you will see the hermit inspecting new shells one by one. I've never seen a hermit jump from one shell to another though, I just wake up in the morning and they are wearing the new shell.
 
My Halloween hermit had been very active, then suddenly went into hiding. He is now completely out of his shell. Do these guys molt their "exoskeletons" or is molting just considered them swapping shells?

I do not have any other shells for him to go in to.
Yeah get him a few new conch shells. They dont like any other kind. And my Halloweens will molt full body molts!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new