Hammer and Peppermint Shrimp?

MNBones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up Hammer frag yesterday afternoon at LFS, went through the dip routine, then stuck the plug in my rockwork. Probably a little high in the tank and this morning I noticed there was way too much flow where I put it.

I fashioned a piece of Marco rubble with a ‘frag sized’ hole (had to superglue and accelerate a small piece of rubble to stabilize a plug), let the glue cure about an hour, then rinsed and soaked in RODI water for about another hour.

Finally, I put the frag in my new ‘hammer island’ and positioned it on the bottom in an area with good light and gentler flow.

Almost immediately one, then 2 of my peppermint shrimp pounced on it and began pulling pieces off.

I moved the piece to a different area of the tank and they are leaving it alone again.

They didn’t bother it yesterday or this morning, and they are not bothering it now.

I have 2 theories – both of which are probably wrong.

• The smell of glue + accelerator attracted them (must be wrong since it is in a different part of the tank and they are leaving it alone)
  • The spot I put it is right in front of a crevice those 2 shrimp seem to call home.
Any words of wisdom?

HammerSmall.jpg

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp are no bueno. They do have a taste for corals. Anyone who has peppermints is usually on a clock before they start picking at corals.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermints take the phrase "opportunistic feeders" and strap 100 tons of TNT to it and blow it the heck up.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got like 5 hammers next to my pepper cave and they don't bother any coral there.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back