Hammer and Torch Coral Struggling

ferrarii52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last month my hammer coral and torch coral have been somewhat closed up. Prior to this they have been in the tank for about a month and half and seemed to be thriving. I have zoas and mushroom corals in the tank right now that are happy. Some background on the tank, it is a 55 gallon that has been running since july. I did a water change last weekend and plan to do another this weekend. I seem to have a decent amount of algae in the tank recently. My current parameters are
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates less than 5
Phosphates 0
PH 8.2
Temperature 78 degrees F
Salinity 1.025

The hammer seems to be a little less closed up since the last water change but I didn't know if the algae was affecting the corals or what it is at this point. I also have a decent amount of coraline growing if that effects anything. I have tried adjusting flow as well and nothing has seemed to make them happy. I have attached a few photos.

Attachments

• hammer.pdf
    775.8 KB · Views: 68
  • torch.pdf
    744.2 KB · Views: 57

Alex C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find with my torch it is very sensitive to light and flow, try moving it around for a week at a time until you find a spot that it thrives.

OP
OP
F

ferrarii52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is 1.025 and i haven't dosed any. That is the odd thing it seemed to be thriving and now its not.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do like some po4. I would check for pests at night. I had the same issue with one of my torches. There are these very small flat worms that seem to love torches. Haven't had them bother my other euphyllias but these guys have been difficult. I finally spotted them right at the base of where the flesh meets the skeleton. After dipping I was surprised how many there were that could not be seen

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do like some po4. I would check for pests at night. I had the same issue with one of my torches. There are these very small flat worms that seem to love torches. Haven't had them bother my other euphyllias but these guys have been difficult. I finally spotted them right at the base of where the flesh meets the skeleton. After dipping I was surprised how many there were that could not be seen

I agree the water may be too clean. But pests including shrimp and crabs could be the problem too.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back