Hammer coral died THEN a white film took over the skeleton...what is this stuff?

Kan9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was crazy because it happened in 24-48 hours after the polyps disappeared. Will this hurt my other euphilia corals near by? What is this stuff?

image (3).jpg
image (2).jpg

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like sponge of sorts. I have something similar that grows on rock that's shaded in a low flow area.

OP
OP
Kan9

Kan9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like sponge of sorts. I have something similar that grows on rock that's shaded in a low flow area.
Maybe-it went from nothing to what you see in 48 hours, maybe less. crazy?! I do have high silicates though so....?

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm honestly not sure. I'm no expert. I honestly don't even consider myself a novice, I'm below that, lol. It could be something bacterial even. Maybe reefsquad might know. I know my sponges grow fast in certain areas but they don't go beyond their little home they found. Just low light/low flow.

OP
OP
Kan9

Kan9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm honestly not sure. I'm no expert. I honestly don't even consider myself a novice, I'm below that, lol. It could be something bacterial even. Maybe reefsquad might know. I know my sponges grow fast in certain areas but they don't go beyond their little home they found. Just low light/low flow.
Well thanks for the response. Par at this location is about 120 so maybe a little high for nonphotosynthetic sponges...

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull it, imo. Don't want the bacteria to spread to those other nice corals and potentially harm them. But another opinion may be better than mine.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back