Hammer coral not doing too hot, need some help!

FatDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Reefers, I wanted to share my recent experience with setting up a 10 gallon nano tank(I followed along with the inappropriate reefer's $146 budget build). As a beginner, I was excited to introduce a frogspawn and hammer coral into my tank as my first corals. It's been about three weeks since I introduced them. Initially, both corals were doing well. However, I recently decided to make some adjustments to my aquascape, and it seems to have affected my hammer coral. It's been about 2 weeks since the the readjustments, It's only open on one side, and the polyps look smaller, droopy, and somewhat slumped over. I've been hoping that giving it some time might help, but unfortunately, things haven't improved. I've also been considering if water flow might be an issue. The water filter directs the flow to the right side of the tank, which causes the hammer coral to lean to the left because the flow is bouncing off the glass. I'm wondering if this excessive flow is causing the problem. In my attempt to address the situation, I thought about relocating the coral. However, while observing it, I noticed a strange brown/black mucus-like substance coming from the side of the coral where the polyps aren't extended. I've done some research and found that this could be either coral poop or a condition known as brown jelly disease. But I'm having trouble telling the difference. I am currently retesting the water quality at this very moment and I'll post it below once it's complete, but the past few times that I've tested, everything was within its normal range. Seeing as it only affecting my hammer coral, I don't think it's a water issue. I have attached some photos of the hammer coral as well as the structure of the tank. I'm reaching out to ask for any insights or advice from experienced individuals who might have faced similar situations. Your guidance could really help me ensure the well-being of these corals in my new tank. Thank you so much for your help.

IMG_1225.jpeg IMG_1223.jpeg IMG_1222.jpeg IMG_1220.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like brown jelly to me, coral still looks healthy when it poops, this coral is on the way out. The tank looks relatively new. As you mentioned, corals dont really like strong flow in one direction, it should be random flow as best as we can manage. You did not list the water parameters so not much else to go on right now.

OP
OP
F

FatDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
looks like brown jelly to me, coral still looks healthy when it poops, this coral is on the way out. The tank looks relatively new. As you mentioned, corals dont really like strong flow in one direction, it should be random flow as best as we can manage. You did not list the water parameters so not much else to go on right now.
My apologies, I'm new to this forum as well so I thought I should post after I got approved.
Temperature: 77F
Salinity: 35 PPT
Alkalinity: 9.5 dKH
Mg: 1320 ppm
Ca: 410 ppm
Phosphate: 0.02 ppm
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 3ppm

Dang, if it's BJD should I remove it from the tank immediately then?

OP
OP
F

FatDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It may be BJD. move the hammer back to where it was and keep an eye on it. Hammers can handle some flow but not alot or direct flow.
Okay, I'll try and move it back to where it was. Before moving it back to the original location I plan on taking it out of the tank to inspect it, is there a telltale sign that is 100% BJD? Also if it is, shouldn't I remove it from the tank so it doesn't infect the other corals?

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I'll try and move it back to where it was. Before moving it back to the original location I plan on taking it out of the tank to inspect it, is there a telltale sign that is 100% BJD? Also if it is, shouldn't I remove it from the tank so it doesn't infect the other corals?
move it first and see how it responds. do keep other corals away from it though just in case.
the best sign is brown stuff coming out of the head. it's pretty noticeable.

OP
OP
F

FatDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
move it first and see how it responds. do keep other corals away from it though just in case.
the best sign is brown stuff coming out of the head. it's pretty noticeable.
Yep, I just took it out and relocated it. I was able to grab a close up picture of it tho. I also did a quick smell test, doesn't smell that good.

Edit: dang, the picture are so blurry once I post it
IMG_1227.jpeg IMG_1228.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FatDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update: That was indeed BJD, I decided it was not worth risking the rest of my corals to see if the hammer will end up surviving. I ended up taking it out of the tank and running it under freshwater to "wash" out the brown stuff and see what it is. It smelled pretty bad from the initial sniff then I broke up the coral and the inside was all dead. It. Smelled. HORRIFIC. The inside was basically all dead brown tissue. I just did a 30% water change and I hope it didn't affect the rest of my corals. What a way to be welcomed into a hobby lol

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back