hammer die off

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 24, 2019
Messages
1,642
Reaction score
1,332
Location
Williamstown NJ
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my oldest corals a purple hammer started to rapidly lose heads over the past month or so. Today I look and it was completely gone. Knocked over and covered in serpent stars . I know the stars didn’t kill it they were probably just munching on dead flesh. But what I don’t recognize are these little hairy structures. Anyone know what they are or if they could have contributed to the death of my hammer?
IMG_0250.jpeg
 
I’m gonna say no, no clue what those are but I’ve seen them before

anyway I’m going through similar as have many others, might be the same issue…
Lots of threads on euphilia losses

looking for answers myself
 
One of my oldest corals a purple hammer started to rapidly lose heads over the past month or so. Today I look and it was completely gone. Knocked over and covered in serpent stars . I know the stars didn’t kill it they were probably just munching on dead flesh. But what I don’t recognize are these little hairy structures. Anyone know what they are or if they could have contributed to the death of my hammer?
IMG_0250.jpeg
I see tube worm and vermetid snail evidence on skeleton but not the cause. Typical cause of polyp bailout which is what is shown is too much flow, low calcium, high phosphates and pests such as bugs or flatworms
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new