Hammer help!

Gmullis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up and noticed these white spots on my hammer any clue what this is and is this harmful.

EBCDD5EB-7A40-4CC4-B4E9-409C16A7237A.jpeg 9091C1D7-AFC0-4E25-BE1B-89E54BFBCEDB.jpeg 4A093FB8-D147-408D-961E-BA5F09CA89D4.jpeg 93F14B6B-2854-4335-A15A-79B05D73C426.jpeg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about the little white calcareous spirorbids on the skeleton or the white little nodules on the tentacles? Neither are an emergency or something to worry about. The spirorbids are just little fan worms, they won’t irritate the coral (they don’t look like vermetid snails). The little nodules on the tentacles are normal.

OP
OP
G

Gmullis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about the little white calcareous spirorbids on the skeleton or the white little nodules on the tentacles? Neither are an emergency or something to worry about. The spirorbids are just little fan worms, they won’t irritate the coral (they don’t look like vermetid snails). The little nodules on the tentacles are normal.
Oh thank you so much! I’m talking about both, I know the ones on tentacles just appeared this morning. I found the others on the skeleton today only because I was looking. Do I need to treat them?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this 100%^

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no dont need to treat for them they are perfectly fine, filter feeders

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thank you so much! I’m talking about both, I know the ones on tentacles just appeared this morning. I found the others on the skeleton today only because I was looking. Do I need to treat them?
No need to treat them, they’re just filter feeders. If I am wrong and they are vermetid snails, you will see little webs of strings coming out of the little tubes, they can’t sting or anything, but they can irritate some corals, so if you notice that, you can seal them into their shells with superglue, but they’re not parasites or something that’s an imminent danger to anything. But I’m pretty sure that’s not what they are (they generally stick out more - there’s a thread about ‘red cones’ in the most recent threads that has some pretty clear pictures of what they look like). But, yeah, no need to treat anything.

OP
OP
G

Gmullis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to treat them, they’re just filter feeders. If I am wrong and they are vermetid snails, you will see little webs of strings coming out of the little tubes, they can’t sting or anything, but they can irritate some corals, so if you notice that, you can seal them into their shells with superglue, but they’re not parasites or something that’s an imminent danger to anything. But I’m pretty sure that’s not what they are (they generally stick out more - there’s a thread about ‘red cones’ in the most recent threads that has some pretty clear pictures of what they look like). But, yeah, no need to treat anything.
You are amazing! I hope one day, I’ll be able to answer these questions ‍♀️

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back