Hammer started to split, now struggling

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I had a hammer for about 5 months now. It was doing great with great extension. Both heads were splitting, one into two and one was splitting three ways! Now all of a sudden the tentacle extension seems lackluster and one head is slightly receding. All other lps are fine. Its in moderate flow and low to moderate lighting. It is on a rock with gsp and I can say this started to happen as the gsp got closer to the hammer. Is it chem warfare doing it? Should I re-dip my hammer for possible flat worms?
Can post params in about 2 hours.

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture. The only light change that has happened was an acclimation mode two weeks ago for new frags. This was occurring before that.

I did have a nitrate spike as well a couple weeks ago. But again, this occurred prior to that

20200930_184843.jpg

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tissue recession isn’t good, in my experience, LFS water is unreliable and often varies from batch to batch depending on who mixes it, etc. After a hammer loses tissue it dies rapidly. I would test your perams immediately.

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tissue recession isn’t good, in my experience, LFS water is unreliable and often varies from batch to batch depending on who mixes it, etc. After a hammer loses tissue it dies rapidly. I would test your perams immediately.
Unfortunately mixing isn't really an option for me. Ill do some tests and post here.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately mixing isn't really an option for me. Ill do some tests and post here.
There are under the sink RO units that work well for apartment/small space situations if that’s your issue. I hope you figure out your water soon, even if you can buy RODI water from your LFS then mix your own salt that would be better

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity was a little high, I need to recalibrate my refractomer.
Salinity was about 1.028
Nitrates 5ppm
temp 78
Calc 496
Alkalinity 162 ppm or 9.057 dkh
Phosphates are .4

Last edited:
OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes phosphates are definitly to high and with combination of pretty high salt could be the issue 1.025-6 and .04 phos would be better
Gfo or phosguard? Whats the best option? I'm afraid if I do more water changes I'll bottom out my nitrates and create a whole new issue.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gfo or phosguard? Whats the best option? I'm afraid if I do more water changes I'll bottom out my nitrates and create a whole new issue.
I use gfo make sure to start with a lot less then recommended amount cause gfo seem to be more potent then you think.

graeve11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture. The only light change that has happened was an acclimation mode two weeks ago for new frags. This was occurring before that.

I did have a nitrate spike as well a couple weeks ago. But again, this occurred prior to that

20200930_184843.jpg
I know this is old but can I get an update.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back