Hammer super fast colour change, what the!?

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall, i just made a trip to my not so local lfs and picked me up a bunch of frags. One of my purchases was a super bright and beautiful splattered golden hammer.

I took my frags home, which took about 1 hour max. When i get home and start unpacking i notice my hammer was GREEN, not even a hint of gold anywhere under any light. what the flip!?

I know i got the right one as i saw the employee pick it out, and it was surrou ded by other gold hammers too so even if she did take a wrong one it should still be gold.

Has anyone heard of colour changing this crazy fast on a hammer?

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall, i just made a trip to my not so local lfs and picked me up a bunch of frags. One of my purchases was a super bright and beautiful splattered golden hammer.

I took my frags home, which took about 1 hour max. When i get home and start unpacking i notice my hammer was GREEN, not even a hint of gold anywhere under any light. what the flip!?

I know i got the right one as i saw the employee pick it out, and it was surrou ded by other gold hammers too so even if she did take a wrong one it should still be gold.

Has anyone heard of colour changing this crazy fast on a hammer?
I heard violet lighting can cause a color shift visually from green to red with yellow in between, so maybe the LFS was running violet lighting? I don't know too much about this subject but basically lighting can creat color shifts not just increase fluorescence

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard violet lighting can cause a color shift visually from green to red with yellow in between, so maybe the LFS was running violet lighting? I don't know too much about this subject but basically lighting can creat color shifts not just increase fluorescence

You may be on to something, now that i think about it, i did glance at their lights and i remember it wasnt a ridiculous blue that painted the whole room blue, but kind of violet looking, i didnt think anything of it. They were running Radions im pretty sure. I will do some research on this. Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry did you mean UV or just violet? I saw more of a purple from the lights

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry did you mean UV or just violet? I saw more of a purple from the lights
It's both UV and Violet. UV and Violet light cuases a color shift and mixing blue and UV light can cause a partial shift (light that's somewhere between the blue and violet spectrum could cause a partial color shift by my understanding too). As you may know yellow is not actually a color we see it's only a combination of red and green spectrum so if they were using pure violet light it may have caused a mid way shift between green and red, creating yellow. Taht's is the best explanation I can give, I'll link you a video by Dana Riddle that explains it very well:

At 13:48 he goes into detail about the color shifts, however I recommend watching the whole video as it's all very interesting.

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's both UV and Violet. As the lighting moves closer to the UV spectrum it causes the color to shift more towards red from green (so pure violet light causes a partial shift). As you may know yellow is not actually a color we see it's only a combination of red and green spectrum so if they were using pure violet light it may have caused a mid way shift between green and red, creating yellow. Something like that is the best explanation I can give, I'll link you a video by Dana Riddle that explains it very well:

At 13:48 he goes into detail about the color shifts, however I recommend watching the whole video as it's all very interesting.

thank you, i actually did skim through this video a while ago, but i will watch again.

on the other hand, my light (Micmol Aquamini LED) does state to have violet in the 410-415nm range, and when i only run the channel it is in, i still dont see any hint of gold at all. i find this whole situation very strange.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you, i actually did skim through this video a while ago, but i will watch again.

on the other hand, my light (Micmol Aquamini LED) does state to have violet in the 410-415nm range, and when i only run the channel it is in, i still dont see any hint of gold at all. i find this whole situation very strange.
Have you tried decreasing the blue while running violet? That could be a contributing factor. Maybe there's other factors at play

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried decreasing the blue while running violet? That could be a contributing factor. Maybe there's other factors at play

it only has 3 channels to control, 1 for white, 1 for blue (claims to be royal blue but i cant tell the difference) and 1 for special, which includes red, green, warm white, UV, blue (470-475nm), and violet. i tried running the special channel by itself, and still no hint of gold. i have ordered a few pcs of 3W violet LEDs and will do some tests with them when they arrive (Fleabay shipping = 1 month).

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back