Hammer won’t open :(

Barrett Barnes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R I’m new to this reef hobby started up my first tank this fall and I did the cycle and things went great everything is going awesome! Except one of my hammer coral frags I got about 5 days ago won’t open and it seems droopy and sad. It’s strange because all the other frags look great and are opening beautifully including another hammer from the same LFS! I will post pictures this evening but if there is anyone who can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated!!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R I’m new to this reef hobby started up my first tank this fall and I did the cycle and things went great everything is going awesome! Except one of my hammer coral frags I got about 5 days ago won’t open and it seems droopy and sad. It’s strange because all the other frags look great and are opening beautifully including another hammer from the same LFS! I will post pictures this evening but if there is anyone who can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated!!
Going to have to wait for the pictures, in the meantime can you post your water parameters, lighting, and flow?

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take time to acclimate sometimes. If the "arms" are extending out of the skeletal structure, then it should be doing okay, at least. It may need slightly more flow or possibly light, so you might try moving it slightly closer to either/both. Small changes are better than large ones.

(And since I missed your first post - welcome to R2R!)

OP
OP
Barrett Barnes

Barrett Barnes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a simple AI prime HD and the exact number of the water I don’t have on me I took the water to my local LFS and it was spot on with everything according to him. For circulation I’m running the Hydor 550 and the 2 small heads that come in the cube stock. I’ll be gone within a couple of hours for pictures thank y’all so much already!!

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First rule buy a test kit... they usually use cheap api kits which are not that great, and to them spot on may be good enough to maybe support coral.

OP
OP
Barrett Barnes

Barrett Barnes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A7B3CE14-9A19-488E-AB29-C286C24AD260.jpeg
AF4D698E-269A-41A9-8BCA-D98C522418D5.jpeg
D222A238-B204-4356-BDD6-FE68F24B27E0.jpeg

OP
OP
Barrett Barnes

Barrett Barnes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFDBB815-1A32-475D-B96B-AA5BF3B9BB58.jpeg
Okay will do thank you! This is the other hammer in the same tank with more flow I honestly haven’t seen him not open since the first day he came home.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back