Hammer wont extend fully

cz_reef's

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all so for the last few days my hammer has been partially closed, i added a sandsifting goby that lasted all but 24 hours in my tank because of the massive sand cloud he caused and since then my hammer has remained partially open instead of full and extended, any ideas why? Will it go back to normal?

IMG_4184.jpeg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, should be fine, I get some on mine occasionally when I’m not playing attention and drop sand on it from my glass scraper. You might want to lightly turkey baste it to make sure all the sand particles are out and not irritating the tissue.

OP
OP
cz_reef's

cz_reef's

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, should be fine, I get some on mine occasionally when I’m not playing attention and drop sand on it from my glass scraper. You might want to lightly turkey baste it to make sure all the sand particles are out and not irritating the tissue.
Will do i just did that! Now we wait and see will definitely post updates

OP
OP
cz_reef's

cz_reef's

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine especially since it was doing well prior. How long have you had it?
Ive had it about two weeks now, was completely open stretching out and happy, had to get some cycling damsels out of the tank which stirred the pot then i stupidly added the diamond goby, 2 clowns and a firefish. The diamond got the boot within 24 hours but with the sand i use it was complete chaos

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey all so for the last few days my hammer has been partially closed, i added a sandsifting goby that lasted all but 24 hours in my tank because of the massive sand cloud he caused and since then my hammer has remained partially open instead of full and extended, any ideas why? Will it go back to normal?

IMG_4184.jpeg
Its slightly retracted due to stress from:
Too little light
Excess flow
Low calcium (you want 380 or above)
High phosphates

Elevated the coral a little and feed mysis shrimp 2x per week

OP
OP
cz_reef's

cz_reef's

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its slightly retracted due to stress from:
Too little light
Excess flow
Low calcium (you want 380 or above)
High phosphates

Elevated the coral a little and feed mysis shrimp 2x per week
My calcium is right around 400-420 it also isnt really catching that much flow, i have my wavemaker set to 72 but it sits right at the top of the tank and was really happy/doing well prior to the sand storm that happened in my tank thats why im so confused at the moment

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My calcium is right around 400-420 it also isnt really catching that much flow, i have my wavemaker set to 72 but it sits right at the top of the tank and was really happy/doing well prior to the sand storm that happened in my tank thats why im so confused at the moment
Elevate the coal a little in where it will get a little more flow without irritation from sand

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had it about two weeks now, was completely open stretching out and happy, had to get some cycling damsels out of the tank which stirred the pot then i stupidly added the diamond goby, 2 clowns and a firefish. The diamond got the boot within 24 hours but with the sand i use it was complete chaos
It can take a couple of weeks or more for a coral to show any outward appearance of struggling that started weeks prior. Often with a coral like this that is not looking happy you don’t look at what was happening currently but look back at weeks prior for changes, swings that may of occurred. I’m still standing by this is going to turn for the better but just like it can take weeks to show decline it can take weeks to return to 100%. Let’s assume this all started from the sand irritation and you implemented changes as mentioned. Follow @vetteguy53081 ’s advice and maintain your nitrate at 10-15 and phosphate at .05-.1. Your calcium is good so make sure your magnesium is above 1350, they tend to thrive with it at 1400 or a little higher. Keep it in moderate flow and light and you should start seeing the improvement you are looking for.

OP
OP
cz_reef's

cz_reef's

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take a couple of weeks or more for a coral to show any outward appearance of struggling that started weeks prior. Often with a coral like this that is not looking happy you don’t look at what was happening currently but look back at weeks prior for changes, swings that may of occurred. I’m still standing by this is going to turn for the better but just like it can take weeks to show decline it can take weeks to return to 100%. Let’s assume this all started from the sand irritation and you implemented changes as mentioned. Follow @vetteguy53081 ’s advice and maintain your nitrate at 10-15 and phosphate at .05-.1. Your calcium is good so make sure your magnesium is above 1350, they tend to thrive with it at 1400 or a little higher. Keep it in moderate flow and light and you should start seeing the improvement you are looking for.
So its actually gotten worse, i pulled it today and dipped it, and moved it to a higher spot in the tank in hopes to help it

OP
OP
cz_reef's

cz_reef's

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, stop moving it around for now. Can you take a picture? No brown goo or odor?
Neither as of now, one was from last night and the second one is current as of this moment (clownfish is a sucker for the camera )

Attachments

• IMG_4187.jpeg
    IMG_4187.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4190.jpeg
    IMG_4190.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 18

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither as of now, one was from last night and the second one is current as of this moment (clownfish is a sucker for the camera )
Ok, well my hammers withdraw and close near to and during lights out, normal. Honestly comparing the second pic with your original pic it looks better than your first post. I do it myself, I look at the negative and ignore all the positive. The first picture with the hammer closed shows a nice long, at least an inch, flesh band which is what you want to see on a healthy hammer, the flesh band recedes on an unhealthy hammer. Again let it be, you won’t wake up tomorrow with 2 new heads and it’s size doubled but give it a week or two. Remember, hammers are hardy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.1%
Back