Hammers, Octos, Frogspawns; heads dying

LucyMollyMaryJane

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 11, 2023
Messages
32
Reaction score
8
Location
las vegas
What state or country do you live in
Nevada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 15 softies in a mixed tank. Octos, Hammers, and frogspaws. Every 4-6 weeks I loose a single head off one of them. They are all on the left, lower side of the tank in gentle flow.

125G, fug, radions @ 100%
34.0 @ 80F
Alk=9.0
Calcium hovers at 500
Magnesium 1450
Phosphate = 0
Amon = 0
Nitrate > 5
Nitrite < 5

Life:
- sailfin tang
- coral beauty
- cardinals
- chromies
- anthias
- mandarin
- tomatoe clown
- hawkfish
- coral banded shrimp
- 2 cleaner shrimp
- 4 Halloween crabs
- lots of hermits, conchs, snails, etc.

Never seen the tang or beauty pick at anything. Feed with algae strips daily.

All help and suggestions are much appreciated!

E2409453-8C3B-4808-A3FE-ABA2D7C6DE4F.jpeg 61143867-84C0-4544-AB78-FC0534F512C9.jpeg EC18BBE5-3881-4AC4-949D-6B4139F09DD8.jpeg
 
I had no luck with them when my tank was new. I tried and tried. Different flow, different light. Now the ONE I have is doing well. The change is that I run slightly higher Nitrates and Phosphates along with dosing trace elements and amino acids and bacteria once a week. I've heard they don't like really clean tanks. That does seem to be the case.
 
Try to raise the po4 by feed reef roids 2 to 3 times per week.
They are hungry.
 
Try to raise the po4 by feed reef roids 2 to 3 times per week.
They are hungry.
Phosphate was recently at .2-.3. Topped out at 0.42 for about three weeks. Still suffered the same experiences.

I feed with RedSea AB+ 36 mL a day.
RedSea trace A, B, C, and D 1 mL every Sunday.
Reef Nutrients PhytoFeast every other day, 5 drops.

I stopped reefroids because they are so dirty. Been thinking about starting them again.
 
Phosphate was recently at .2-.3. Topped out at 0.42 for about three weeks. Still suffered the same experiences.

I feed with RedSea AB+ 36 mL a day.
RedSea trace A, B, C, and D 1 mL every Sunday.
Reef Nutrients PhytoFeast every other day, 5 drops.

I stopped reefroids because they are so dirty. Been thinking about starting them again.
It takes time for things to recover, weeks, maybe months.
I tried ab+ 3 separate times and each resulted in a bjd episode.
BRoadcast feeding anything feeds all organisms, good and bad.
Just like fertilizing the lawn helps the grass and weeds both.
 
It takes time for things to recover, weeks, maybe months.
I tried ab+ 3 separate times and each resulted in a bjd episode.
BRoadcast feeding anything feeds all organisms, good and bad.
Just like fertilizing the lawn helps the grass and weeds both.
Very true.
Terrible hobby to use this excuse… but spot feeding an entire tank is sooo time consuming.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new