Hands down this is the best thing you have ever done for your aquarium! AH HA!!!

Have you learned, purchased or implemented something that was "THE BEST" thing for your tank?

• Yes (tell us about it)

Votes: 181 68.0%
  • No not yet (click to learn)

Votes: 85 32.0%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At times in reefing you learn something, buy something or implement something that is a legit "AH HA" moment that really turns the tide of your reefing journey! Today I would like to hear about some of those moments in your life. Some of these are the BEST THINGS you have ever done for your reef tank and others could learn from it!

What is something you learned, purchased, or implemented that really turned out to be one of the BEST THINGS you have done for your aquarium?

Fish image via @ChristopherKriens
Untitled-7.jpg

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing! I have a small aquarium (20gal) and thought I could get by with manual dosing and ended up losing some higher end acros when I progressed to SPS. I proceeded to getting a "cheap" Jeabo DP-4 and it changed everything for me. Holding parameters stable is so important and can be achieved easily without needing super expensive equipment.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, for me was an ATO. Was dealing with adding RODI water every day to keep the water at level but them I saw a YouTube video about gravity ATO and AH..HA !!!, I make my own gravity ATO, a fill out and forget for the whole week.

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My controller (Apex) and peripherals (DŌS, LDK, ATK, etc.) were the best combined purchases that I have made. Sure, I could manually do most of what that system does, but I’m human and forget things. My Apex system maintains my dosing schedule and temperature control, which are important to my life’s schedule.

Leib

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At times in reefing you learn something, buy something or implement something that is a legit "AH HA" moment that really turns the tide of your reefing journey! Today I would like to hear about some of those moments in your life. Some of these are the BEST THINGS you have ever done for your reef tank and others could learn from it!

What is something you learned, purchased, or implemented that really turned out to be one of the BEST THINGS you have done for your aquarium?

Fish image via @ChristopherKriens
Untitled-7.jpg

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sort of a two part answer. I echo those who praise the Apex or other controllers so I won’t expound on that.

The second part is simply coming to the realization that this is an expensive hobby that requires some degree of risk tolerance. Livestock WILL die despite your best efforts. Equipment will eventually wear out and fail, usually at the least opportune time. Perhaps most importantly, there is no “cheap” way to do things unless you are willing to accept higher risk.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying my first Tunze wave/pulse pump
It was around 2005. 1
Jebao, ecotech, hydor, gyr didnt exist yet.

To get random flow I had two pumps fighting eachother and my return, still wasn't ideal for SPS. also this artful technique of getting correct type of flow only allowed a few spots on the rockwork to be suitable for Acropora.

The Tunze was expensive, esp for a senior in highschool, but worth it, that ramping up and down surge it created was basically like the key unlocking the ability to having SPS thrive esp Acropora.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back