Hands down this is the best thing you have ever done for your aquarium! AH HA!!!

Have you learned, purchased or implemented something that was "THE BEST" thing for your tank?

• Yes (tell us about it)

Votes: 181 68.0%
  • No not yet (click to learn)

Votes: 85 32.0%

• Total voters

Joshua Kerstetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Neptune Apex, the breakout box specifically, it does my ATO, which is the single greatest time saver you can have, and programmable alarms tied to float switches. A few weeks after I had my setup and tested it, it triggered when I was at church to the sump in my basement was too full. I then logged into my webcam near my sump and could hear the pump free spinning and making noises it really shouldn't have. This wasn't my aquarium sump, but my basement sump, my pump had died during a period of very heavy rain. I raced home, setup my backup sump pump, then was able to drive to Harbor Freight and purchase a new one, and get it set up. This literally saved my basement which includes my 400 square foot finished section that has my bar and theater setup, this saved too my graveyard of years of computer equipment and family stuff.

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t chase the newest ideas or fads. I.E.: I stopped chasing phosphates and fed the f’ing tank like I used to. High food + High Light + High Flow + High Alk (9-10) = very happy coral.

Leib

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At times in reefing you learn something, buy something or implement something that is a legit "AH HA" moment that really turns the tide of your reefing journey! Today I would like to hear about some of those moments in your life. Some of these are the BEST THINGS you have ever done for your reef tank and others could learn from it!

What is something you learned, purchased, or implemented that really turned out to be one of the BEST THINGS you have done for your aquarium?

Fish image via @ChristopherKriens
Untitled-7.jpg
This is more like a key to reefing not just an aha moment you only notice it after many failures and being in the hobby for a while ive noticed now after 19 years in the hobby most ppl that are succesful are the ones that start off by setting themselves up for success meaning they come in with the right mind set,grasping all Knowledge that you can and then making your own decisions based on the knoledge that you have accumulated. The main key-my aha moment is start your tanks with the right equipment first. It will be much easier to maintain and keep a happy good looking and stable tank. Meaning good protein skimmer, filter socks, (nice size refugium with good lighting for nutrient export if needed) I like puting in a uv sterilizer for algae control, gfo/carbon canister filter or filter bags preferably canister (so the water flows through properly)and plenty of large rock for nitrate reduction, a doser for calcium 2 part, and a magnesium doser. It helps maintain stability in the tank and thats key for succes in reefing.A proper rodi for a succesful reef tank and good lighting. happy reefing guys/girls hope you found this helpful my dad has been in the hobby for over 30 yrs and i have been since i was born so if you have any question jusy send me a message and i will try to answer you to the best of my ability.
At times in reefing you learn something, buy something or implement something that is a legit "AH HA" moment that really turns the tide of your reefing journey! Today I would like to hear about some of those moments in your life. Some of these are the BEST THINGS you have ever done for your reef tank and others could learn from it!

What is something you learned, purchased, or implemented that really turned out to be one of the BEST THINGS you have done for your aquarium?

Fish image via @ChristopherKriens
Untitled-7.jpg

Last edited:

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dosing for me. I was hand dosing and with my wife, 3 kids (in sports) it was hard to keep up. added a doser, it kept everything in check. on top of that, dosing my water change water made the tank super stable! Doser = set it and forget it (for 4 months, I check and recalibrate if needed) and I know what to dose the water change water. stability is key, and my coral are proof!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggled with stony corals for the first 10 years of reefing - mostly LPS, but some SPS when I could find it. Purchased a CaRx in 1997 and struggled no more. The ability to keep what I could not previously keep is what constitutes 'best'. Lots of other devices, some for purpose others for convenience are fine, but CaRx was transformational for me.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back