Hands down this is the best thing you have ever done for your aquarium! AH HA!!!

Have you learned, purchased or implemented something that was "THE BEST" thing for your tank?

• Yes (tell us about it)

Votes: 181 68.0%
  • No not yet (click to learn)

Votes: 85 32.0%

• Total voters

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was probably adding the Inkbird temperature controller with a small clip on fan for cooling purposes. I was struggling with temperature fluctuations this summer going from 77 to upwards of 82 at times. Once I added the Inkbird and the fan, it has kept my tank between 76.5 and 77.5 at all times. It's also nice knowing that I have a backup shutoff for my heater in case it gets stuck in the on position. The temperature stability made a world of difference for the corals.

A close second would probably be the small refugium I added in the second chamber with the inTank fuge basket and IM Chaetomax fuge light. I was struggling with high nitrates (30ppm+) and the fuge has brought them down and kept them stable at around 5ppm.
That little Cheatomax is a powerhouse, isn't it? I have 1 suppoting a 100 gallon system and I need to harvest cheato every other week.

playapixie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex & Dos dosing pump. Successfully enjoying a completely grown out mixed reef with lots of SPS in a 34 gallon. Couldn’t grow SPS prior to dosing pumps, and had two complete crashes prior to APEX. Now I know when things go wrong in time to fix it. Game changer.

APX90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
properly sized UV sterilizer, i had serious reservations but i took the dive and will never look back. Crystal clear water and noticeably less algae growth if tuned correctly

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those without controllers, these things come in VERY handy for feeding time:
1572278195673.png

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes...I automated. I added an Apex and ato...and doses. I'm not home enough or available enough to remember to water, dose, and test nearly as often as I should. These have been instrumental to keeping my system as stable as possible.

Mountainraised

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switching from a Black box to my AI Prime after three years. Within 3 hours my coral opened up like I had never seen.

JLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've sure learned what the absolute worst thing I can do for any aquarium is: put it in a place I rarely spend time.

It's true what they say: out of sight, out of mind. When I had my aquarium on the counter by my desk, or in my bedroom, I was always on top of the maintenance. Never missed a water change. Now that's its out of my sight for most of the day, my maintenance schedule has gone completely down the drain, and the tank has suffered immensely for it.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A simple Grounding Probe! I couldn't get past step one until I figured out my tank was killing everything by electricity.

Tim Olson

Love to Learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've learned a lot over the last few years and expect to be learning for many more years. One of most significant improvements was moving from what I thought was a good refugium light to the Kessil H380. Wow did it ever make a difference. My refugium is 10 gallons and it gets packed so thick it pushes the chaeto out of the water ... obviously I need to take some out. Before the chaeto would barely grow at all.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting away from random chaotic flow. I couldn't do it with the base controllers my Maxspect gyres came with. Once I put them on my controller and was able to get nice long alternating gyres established, my coral growth took off.

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me my A-ha moments were threefold

ATO
A doser for keeping ALK stable
And last but certainly not least ...Polyfilter, instead of messing about with nano skimmers

poly-filter-1.jpg

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in SO CA and my chiller kicks on pretty often. So, relocated it from my living room to outside of the house.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard Operating Procedure for me is the addition of a Hang On Back filter to every build.

It is a great way to add flow to a build without cluttering the tank with power heads or other devices.​
It provides a location where you can easily drop a bag of carbon or some other product and then remove it as necessary.​
It serves as a great way to feed the tank as you are adding food to the flow and get a even disbursement of food.​

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back