Hands down this is the best thing you have ever done for your aquarium! AH HA!!!

Have you learned, purchased or implemented something that was "THE BEST" thing for your tank?

• Yes (tell us about it)

Votes: 181 68.0%
  • No not yet (click to learn)

Votes: 85 32.0%

• Total voters

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A single thing? Not sure which would be first...

1,000gpd rodi unit, calcium reactor or apex are for sure my best tank purchases.

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In June of this Year after much thought I purchased a whole home generator. well this weekend on early Saturday morning 4:30 am a really bad tropical storm came through Louisiana. Knocking out power to thousands of homes mine included. However my generator came on instantly and ran steady for the next 18 hours. I didn’t have a thing to worry about. The piece of mind it gave me was priceless. The Generac Generator is right now the best thing I have done to protect my livestock.

will25u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We quit testing for everything except TDS and got an ATO. Oh, and we have a generator.

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i stopped worrying about No3 and Po4 numbers and everything started thriving. I have a predominately SPS tank and currently nitrates are about 15ppm and phosphate is well over .2 colors look amazing butt they can be seen Here

jelee01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many good answers already. For me? I’d probably go with solid ATO solution to eliminate salinity swings, then Apex, and recently a Clarisea as honorable mentions.

But honestly... my number one thing as an Ah-Ha was coming to realization nothing good ever happens fast in this hobby. Trust the process; research and research some more; never overreact; and keep hands out of tank. Patience with an eye on the long game.

idol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex Equipment. It made my life far easier to maintain a reef tank at the age of 72. When the controller is set and tuned to all their ad-on especially Trident it's just perfect for me.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I "struggled" for the first 18 months of running a reef tank because I was trying to keep everything at the "recommended" levels. Once I let go a bit, things began thriving almost to much now! I only test the water to see where things are at (because I want to keep levels there), not to make changes because I am supposed to.

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Co2 scrubber best thing I did so far. I don't get why the "don't chase numbers" is applied with PH. 8.3-8.4 ph has been a HUGE growth spurt in my tank.

CasaReefer

Promoted To Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was Started to use R2R to bounce ideas off people before I just went and did " Something I heard or saw " the power of the people here to help others is AWESOME and has and will in the future keep me from acting on my knee jerk reactions.
I am sure that This TOOL in my Tool box will save me time, money and heart ache.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOTHING !!!
……..is the best thing I ever did.

I mean sure, I have a Controller, Doser, Auto water Changer, Skimmer, Algae Scrubber, T5/LED lights and each does it's thing.

However the
best thing (since I tinker to much), is to leave my Tank Alone (No changes, No Adustments).

And I got addicted to Additives (eg Amino's), Coral Foods, to see if I could make corals brighter, more Colorful, and grow Faster.
Sure, initial improvement, EVery Time.....But in long run it got me into trouble each time.
NO MORE Additives was the 2nd best thing (or 1st) that I ever did.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a tank packed with SPS and clams... the trident and controlled dosing is amazing. Until you check alk multiple times a day, you might not realize how much it can swing. I’ve been keeping a low nutrient tank with alk around 7... so that was dipping into 6.5 or lower during the day.

Trident keeps it rock steady 7.3 now... Acros seem to really like the stability.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metal Halide, the week after I purchased mine dinos and bryopsis dissipated, my corals started growing, and I started liking my tank. Sometimes simple is best

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 17.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 55 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.3%
Back