Hands down this is the best thing you have ever done for your aquarium! AH HA!!!

Have you learned, purchased or implemented something that was "THE BEST" thing for your tank?

• Yes (tell us about it)

Votes: 181 68.0%
  • No not yet (click to learn)

Votes: 85 32.0%

• Total voters

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sulphur Denitrator. Now I can select how much nitrate I want in the water whilst feeding my fish as much as I (they) please. Small impact on alk is the only caveat but easily adjusted. Pretty amazing piece of kit it blows my mind they are not extremely common.

Went from 20-50ppm to <2ppm (Red Sea test kit) in a week now my nitrate is stable at around 1ppm but I can still turn it up or down if I like.

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sulphur Denitrator. Now I can select how much nitrate I want in the water whilst feeding my fish as much as I (they) please. Small impact on alk is the only caveat but easily adjusted. Pretty amazing piece of kit it blows my mind they are not extremely common.

Went from 20-50ppm to <2ppm (Red Sea test kit) in a week now my nitrate is stable at around 1ppm but I can still turn it up or down if I like.
Which one do you use? I've been struggling with no3 in my broodstock tank for ages. I'm currently trying k1 media but so far it has not worked.

TheRedBeardedReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater mixing barrel with transfer pump replacing buckets. I mix in a 50 gallon barrel, one set of water parameters, at temp, fully dissolved. Also use barrel for ATO.
IMG_20190823_141039.jpg

Or is it the RO/DI system.....

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one do you use? I've been struggling with no3 in my broodstock tank for ages. I'm currently trying k1 media but so far it has not worked.
I’m using a modified Korralin calcium reactor (but they also make a sulphur reactor) with the Caribsea sulphur/arm mix. Couldn’t brag enough about it.

Salty Irishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep detectable levels of N04 & P04 even if that means dosing. Was starving a mediocre tank for yrs to the point of a Dino outbreak. Once I raised those levels, Dino’s disappeared and corals are out of control with polyp extension, color & growth!

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's not just one but multiple items. Kessil 160's and 360's, UV light filter, skimmer, Nopox, a ton of live rock and my cooling fans.

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simplifying my tank has made me enjoy it much more. Specifically, come up with a theme for your tank and stick with it. Only buy pieces that fit into your vision- this means you'll buy and have a lesser quantity of corals, but what you do have, you'll enjoy and you'll slowly build up a collection you can appreciate.

Getting rid of my beloved LPS and prized neon leathers to specialize in a mushroom and anemone tank has made me enjoy my reef a lot more. Lower maintenance, less worry over coral warfare and a cohesive look.

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metal Halides and overkill lighting for the refugium! Not even considering switching to LED, and I have quite a bit of stock in Cree, lol

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metal Halides and overkill lighting for the refugium! Not even considering switching to LED, and I have quite a bit of stock in Cree, lol
I can agree with overkill lighting in the refugium. I have a 600W horticulture light and it has allowed my fuge to out compete the DT for excess nutrients. Chaeto and Ulva grow like crazy, NO3 and PO4 almost zero, even with heavy feeding (5 tangs).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back