Second time around

musicreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This won't be a step by step build thread but random photos and info of where I am now at 4 months. As I mentioned in Meet & Greet, I was going to be using equipment that I had previously used 16 years ago when I last had my reef tank running. The 75gal. tank, sump, stand and the 48" dual MH/VHO fixture. I also have about 80 -100 lbs. of real Fiji rock that I had sitting in salt water for all these years, a little more of my story in Meet and Greet post. Attached is a photo of what I had planned to start with this second time around. Then I started reading more of this forum and watching more reefing videos on YouTube and convinced myself that I should upgrade a few things. I'll add to this tread shortly.

20180718_112907.jpg 20190113_110225.jpg

OP
OP
M

musicreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank had been sitting empty for 16 years but had only held water for about 5 months prior to the total collapse I mentioned in earlier post. My reef had been established for around 5 or 6 years but it was a non drilled tank with an external hang on back overflow. I then purchased this reef ready tank and a buddy of mine who was also a reefer came over one afternoon and we set this one up in about 4 hours using most of the water from the original 75 gal. tank.
I was gonna use the 36'' sump in that first picture, (which is still in good

OP
OP
M

musicreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(which is still in good condition I was gonna say) but I decided to go with the 36" Marine Depot Elite sump because I liked the option of an ATO or Refugium. As you can see in the picture above I spent over $200 in pipe/bulk heads/union values & regular valves/ glue and tools and came up with this beauty ( photo attached). I thought about adding a manifold but with my plumbing skills that might have cost me another 300 bucks.
More to come. This is like a bad book but to far in to stop now.

sump plumbing.jpg

OP
OP
M

musicreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS 1 year today. Not much yet but getting there. Wait till next year or maybe the year after.
By the way sorry I never finished posting on this thread. My Father who lived in Ohio became ill and I live in New York so I traveled back and forth several times, I just never got back to it.

FTS 1 year today.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back