Hands down what is the best salt mix????

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other salt is able to do this without alk being really high.
22e19ac2152fa37d3a3703ca3a7ab2d8.jpg

Does that table match your goal your goal? It doesn't match the ocean. Calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity are all high for 35 ppt salinity.

slim_santa_chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that table match your goal your goal? It doesn't match the ocean. Calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity are all high for 35 ppt salinity.
I don't believe ocean lvls are ideal for corals to thrive their best. we have a number of reasons you want higher lvls in your salt mix , reasons like replenishing and maintaining. anyone can argue whatever salt works best for them. but for me I want higher lvls. would be way better then low levels anyway. long as alk isn't above 12 . and this salt leaves room for you to adjust your ph if you have to. cause it's right around 8.2 and lot of additives that raise alk will raise ph and vice versa.

zchauvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't believe ocean lvls are ideal for corals to thrive their best. we have a number of reasons you want higher lvls in your salt mix , reasons like replenishing and maintaining. anyone can argue whatever salt works best for them. but for me I want higher lvls. would be way better then low levels anyway. long as alk isn't above 12 . and this salt leaves room for you to adjust your ph if you have to. cause it's right around 8.2 and lot of additives that raise alk will raise ph and vice versa.

You don't think the ocean is the best place for corals to thrive?

gji

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use reef crystals, no brown sludge. The trick to it is pour it into water slowly while the water is cold and mix over night. I then add a heater approx 2 hours before I do the water change to match the tanks temp. So I guess the trick is to mix your salt in cold rodi water

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's fine to have higher levels as a goal. Even high alk such as in some of the salt mixes you dislike. I
just wanted to clarify that your statement is then an opinion on what is best, and not a simple fact that it is more "balanced". :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In this science-based forum, I will always strive to make clear what are opinions and what are facts, including my own opinions vs facts.

People often confuse them and that can easily lead to misunderstandings of opinions, or of facts being dismissed as opinions. :)

slim_santa_chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this science-based forum, I will always strive to make clear what are opinions and what are facts, including my own opinions vs facts.

People often confuse them and that can easily lead to misunderstandings of opinions, or of facts being dismissed as opinions. :)
again. congratulations.

James Weir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I take it that you're the one who determines the difference between fact and opinion in this forum? I've read every comment in this thread so far and your comments were the only ones that was obviously quite arrogant and pompous. That's why that fellow was offended. Not that I care but just thought I'd point that out.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I take it that you're the one who determines the difference between fact and opinion in this forum? I've read every comment in this thread so far and your comments were the only ones that was obviously quite arrogant and pompous. That's why that fellow was offended. Not that I care but just thought I'd point that out.

Sad how some mistake intelligence for arrogance.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Uhh, look at the name of the forum. That's why you post on this forum to get Randy's expertise... at least that is how I understand it and why I read and post to it.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I saw were a few clarifying questions. Randy was rather light on the corrections as there are other points that could be countered.

As Randy posted some useful points, the fact there is no hands down best saltmix for everyone which has been beaten to death over the years, and the biggest factor as this is a necro thread many years old I really feel it's not worth the argument which also ties in with the previous point.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All depends on what's in your tank and the type of corals you have! I mainly have an LPS & Softes and a few SPS corals in my system! This is my 2nd water change with Fritz Reef Pro RPM, and I haven't had any issues so far!
I am going to try next, BrightWell Aquatics NeoMarine, even no I refuse to put any of their chemicals in my display or Tropic Marin Reef Pro.

Tank info: 120 Mixed Reef

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally i like a salt that after it has circulated for 24 hrs has a ph of 8.2
Why Ph, I'm hearing that should not be a factor with normal water changes, what am i missing.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@James Weir , @slim_santa_chris - I certainly trust every fact and opinion that @Randy Holmes-Farley has to offer since has been doing this a lot longer than anyone on this forum. I think Randy has a little more experience on pretty much any subject when it comes to Chemistry on reef tanks especially since he has a Ph.D. in that field from one of the hardest schools to get into! He is been publishing articles and books probably before you got in this hobby. We are very lucky to have Randy on REEF2REEF and that he takes time out of his day to offer his amazing knowledge on things you are doing right or wrong. Randy is one of the most respected gentlemen in our hobby. Maybe you need to read this GREAT article that Randy wrote a very long time ago.. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back