Hands down what is the best salt mix????

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquavitro Salinity has been very good for myself, seems to mix to what they claim on bucket. The top is the best. It is also made in smaller batches, mixe
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@James Weir , @slim_santa_chris - I certainly trust every fact and opinion that @Randy Holmes-Farley has to offer since has been doing this a lot longer than anyone on this forum. I think Randy has a little more experience on pretty much any subject when it comes to Chemistry on reef tanks especially since he has a Ph.D. in that field from one of the hardest schools to get into! He is been publishing articles and books probably before you got in this hobby. We are very lucky to have Randy on REEF2REEF and that he takes time out of his day to offer his amazing knowledge on things you are doing right or wrong. Randy is one of the most respected gentlemen in our hobby. Maybe you need to read this GREAT article that Randy wrote a very long time ago.. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

Thanks for the thread, and handling that. Mr Farley has always helped and responded with indifference to what is most likely repeated questions from all the newcomers here, although I seen nothing offensive in his intelligible response and Straight Shooting, I have come to rely on the Clarity he provides.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the thread, and handling that. Mr Farley has always helped and responded with indifference to what is most likely repeated questions from all the newcomers here, although I seen nothing offensive in his intelligible response and Straight Shooting, I have come to rely on the Clarity he provides.

Never a problem, all the very best @siggy

Coley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please give me mixing directions for the regular Red Sea salt mix? Am only finding for the Pro. Thanks

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please give me mixing directions for the regular Red Sea salt mix? Am only finding for the Pro. Thanks

Pour/fill container with desired amount of water
Slowly add and dissolve salt into said container of water while mixing to desired salinity (generally 35ppt)

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do I mix it for? Can I use it right away?

It's a good idea to mix until all the solids are mixed in. It's also a good idea to heat the water to the same temperature as your tank, which gives you time to make sure it's mixed well.

Shawn Hale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that table match your goal your goal? It doesn't match the ocean. Calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity are all high for 35 ppt salinity.

This is an old chart. We run our parameters as below:

Alk 8-9
Mag 1350-1450
Cal 420-460
Potassium 380-420

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Fritz RPM Reef Pro salt for the last 2 months & here are my TRITON IPS-OES TEST RESULTS - click the link below: Looks like my C= Calcium was a little low, K=Potassion was a little low, I=Iodine was detected low and last was my M=Magnessium was a little high. So I am going to switch reef salts to Brightwell - NeoMarine reef salt SINCE I HAVE read nothing but good reviews on this specific salt. After 2 months of using Brightwell and get all my parameters in check, I will be sending off another sample to TRITON and see what the results are using Brightwell - NeoMarine comes back. Also, I notice in my saltwater mixing station on my salt barrel there some nasty green like residue from using Fritz RPM Pro. I will no longer be using this salt due to the fact it lacks the deficiency of Calcium and my salinity was always off like 1.022 or 1.021 never could get it on the money even if you follow the directions to the tee which is 1/2 of a cup per 1 gallon of RODI water.

Here are my test results from TRITON:
https://www.triton-lab.de/showroom/aquarium/auswertung-b/icp-oes/44799/

TANK INFO: 120 MIXED REEF

19780604_1072434769558171_7950933452794722850_o.jpg

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I take it that you're the one who determines the difference between fact and opinion in this forum? I've read every comment in this thread so far and your comments were the only ones that was obviously quite arrogant and pompous. That's why that fellow was offended. Not that I care but just thought I'd point that out.

I'm sorry, but that is so far off the mark, I have to respond.

Given that this is Dr. Holmes-Farley's corner of R2R, his PHD in chemistry, and wealth of experience in reefing, I'd say he's qualified to separate fact from opinion in the topic at hand. I don't know any other hobby where you can get *learned* opinions, advice, tutelage et al, given for *free*, with good humor to boot, like Randy so generously provides here. "Arrogant and Pompous" are not descriptors that have *ever* popped into my mind reading his posts, "generous and helpful" is how I would describe the overwhelming majority of his contributions. Randy has helped me directly many times, and indirectly (through reading this forum, and the numerous articles of his published online), *thousands* of times. I, for one, appreciate Randy qualifying what is considered fact and what is opinion.

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 parts reef crystals and 1 part instant ocean is what I've been using for the last year. Mixing in the instant ocean brings the Alk down to 8.5, right where I want it. I do have to add magnesium occasionally.

@Randy Holmes-Farley is and has been my primary source for information about reef tanks since my first tank. His knowledge and experience is invaluable.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe ocean lvls are ideal for corals to thrive their best. we have a number of reasons you want higher lvls in your salt mix , reasons like replenishing and maintaining. anyone can argue whatever salt works best for them. but for me I want higher lvls. would be way better then low levels anyway. long as alk isn't above 12 . and this salt leaves room for you to adjust your ph if you have to. cause it's right around 8.2 and lot of additives that raise alk will raise ph and vice versa.
Something to consider:
For a fixed salinity, say 35 ppt, more in certain solutes means less in others. We cannot just cannot add without taken something out. It is a zero sum game. In my opinion, levels at or near natural sea levels works best, if you can keep it there and replace it as it is use up.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I take it that you're the one who determines the difference between fact and opinion in this forum? I've read every comment in this thread so far and your comments were the only ones that was obviously quite arrogant and pompous. That's why that fellow was offended. Not that I care but just thought I'd point that out.
This is so far off the deep end that I am not quite sure how to reply to it other than maybe James Weir was on something and does not comprehend the same thing as I am when I read this thread. I hope posts like this would not discourage Randy from donation his free time

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy is a good dude

My answer is whatever salt that closest matches your tank levels is best.

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with Tropic Marin, then 2 yrs later went to IO reef crystals but hand to many problems with parameters and sediment in mixing barrel....so went back to TM....and everything is back and healthy...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back