Hang on back Refugium.

TannerManno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump does not have room for a refugium. I was looking at the hang on back refugiums I was going to put it on the back of my sump instead of the back of the tank. Has anyone used a hang on back refugium before? Also how important is a refugium?

OP
OP
TannerManno

TannerManno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not that important if you have a sump and a good skimmer
I also run brs dual canisters with carbon and gfo. I just hear everyone talking about refugiums like they are a must have i didn’t know if I should get one now before I have problems or wait and see if the problems arise.

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run brs dual canisters with carbon and gfo. I just hear everyone talking about refugiums like they are a must have i didn’t know if I should get one now before I have problems or wait and see if the problems arise.

While they aren't essential, I'm not sure that I'd run a tank without one. That said, what you're keeping is a huge factor in this. What kind of livestock are you keeping or planning to keep?
There are some good ways of reducing nutrients, such as skimmer, GFO, carbon, water changes, etc and there are some drawbacks of refugiums in that macro algae can produce chemicals that can inhibit coral growth (not something widely discussed but also a relatively minor factor) and they do take up nutrients beyond phosphorous and nitrogen based compounds.
There is actually a benefit of a hangon refugium in that there is a gravity feed from the refugium to the tank, meaning that microfauna such as copepods and amphipods more safely make their way from the refugium to the tank. Pumps are quite detrimental in moving the populations of these crustaceans from most refugia to aquariums.

OP
OP
TannerManno

TannerManno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While they aren't essential, I'm not sure that I'd run a tank without one. That said, what you're keeping is a huge factor in this. What kind of livestock are you keeping or planning to keep?
There are some good ways of reducing nutrients, such as skimmer, GFO, carbon, water changes, etc and there are some drawbacks of refugiums in that macro algae can produce chemicals that can inhibit coral growth (not something widely discussed but also a relatively minor factor) and they do take up nutrients beyond phosphorous and nitrogen based compounds.
There is actually a benefit of a hangon refugium in that there is a gravity feed from the refugium to the tank, meaning that microfauna such as copepods and amphipods more safely make their way from the refugium to the tank. Pumps are quite detrimental in moving the populations of these crustaceans from most refugia to aquariums.
The main fish are tangs. A few other smaller fish in with. And just all mixed coral. I think I will keep it how I have it and if I run into problems in the future maybe look into a refugium. Would a hang on the back refugium be big enough? For a 150g.

Marchisio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumps are quite detrimental in moving the populations of these crustaceans from most refugia to aquariums.

I am working on re-setting up an old tank of mine (80g) lagoon and have been considering getting a new sump to add a refugium, basically because i wanted to keep a leopard wrasse and a mandarin. I assumed a refugium would be necessary for a tank of that size to sustain a copepod population. But if most, or all, of the copepods stay in the sump, than i suppose i'll save the $350 i was looking to spend and just use my old very basic sump.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back