Hang-On Refugium?

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way I could modify a filter or something to create a small HOB refugium for my 20g? I'm looking to up my nutrient export and prepare for some more advanced corals. Has anybody had luck in doing something similar to my plan? I've seen the little glass boxes on Amazon but those seem to require a siphon and I'm nervous it'll fail, so I'd prefer something that can electrically pump water.

Sea_Shanty_Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way I could modify a filter or something to create a small HOB refugium for my 20g? I'm looking to up my nutrient export and prepare for some more advanced corals. Has anybody had luck in doing something similar to my plan? I've seen the little glass boxes on Amazon but those seem to require a siphon and I'm nervous it'll fail, so I'd prefer something that can electrically pump water.
Fiji Cube makes one if you want to buy one out of the box.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a food grade plastic food storage container and cut a hole that I gasketed a pipe through. The refugium sits above the tank and water pumps from the tank so its gravity fed back into it so critters from the fuge don't get killed in a motor.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already have a skimmer? I have that and a HoB filter and nutrients aren't an issue.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People used to convert Aquaclear 110 to fuge. There is probably YouTube vids you can watch.

OP
OP
andiesreef

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a food grade plastic food storage container and cut a hole that I gasketed a pipe through. The refugium sits above the tank and water pumps from the tank so its gravity fed back into it so critters from the fuge don't get killed in a motor.
got any pictures?

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can post a better pic later this evening. Mine is in another room so hidden. Only the return pipe is seen in the display. The pump in display takes water up to the container on the top left which is wet/dry trickle and is gravity fed to sump with skimmer below then gravity fed to sand/chaeto/mangrove refugium on the right and then gravity fed to display on other side of wall. It's not pretty but full of chaeto and pods.

IMG_0418.JPG

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back