Hanging LEDs in canopy with eyelets and nuts?

Slammed01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, building my bowfront canopy and almost done! I'm going to hang my Reefbreeder's 2 24" fixtures and want to know what hanging you recommend. My last canopy I had a 1x1 frame with regular eyelets screwed in.

This time im thinking of doing the eyelets with a nut and I will paintings nut black to blend in. Thoughts?

Left I had on last one
middle--too small?
Right-overkill?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383273112634.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383273112634.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 176

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those eyelets can hold a ton!

When I saw the title, I thought you were talking about the eyelets that are in the top of the fixture. I used those eyelets with small nuts and bolts and bolted them to aluminum “L” channel I purchase from HD. The L channel was then bolted to the top or the canopy. Here’s a close-up picture of the small bolts through the eyelets and the larger bolt attaching the L channel to the canopy top:

IMG_4535.jpg

Here’s a shot pulled back so that you can see the two fixtures in the canopy:

CanopyOpen.jpg

OP
OP
S

Slammed01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those eyelets can hold a ton!

When I saw the title, I thought you were talking about the eyelets that are in the top of the fixture. I used those eyelets with small nuts and bolts and bolted them to aluminum “L†channel I purchase from HD. The L channel was then bolted to the top or the canopy. Here’s a close-up picture of the small bolts through the eyelets and the larger bolt attaching the L channel to the canopy top:

IMG_4535.jpg

Here’s a shot pulled back so that you can see the two fixtures in the canopy:

CanopyOpen.jpg

Hmmm another idea and that would allow more height too. I think my eyelets are different but maybe not. So did you just screw or bolt that to the top after the Leds were mounted?

OP
OP
S

Slammed01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked, my eyelets are the same. U used 2 pieces of L for each light correct? Atcthe hinge I only have 9 inches or so since it's a bow, I'd have to measure.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, two pieces of L-channel per fixture. I think it was a four foot length of L-channel that I bought from HD. Also, I had to cut and file a little of the L-channel where the wire grommet entered the fixture. Here’s a close-up of that:

ae849b80-1026-4c94-ab1c-508943ae8127_zpsf40def46.jpg

And yes, the fixtures with L-channel attached were then bolted to the top piece of the canopy….actually two pieces of fir strip. Here’s a top down view of that…and you can see the four bolts per fixture.

f5c895f5-448a-4f41-9bbc-9e83e582de7b_zps2d16fa77.jpg

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
S

Slammed01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you that checks alot! I was gunna ask aboutcha fans too But that sums that up lol! I got a solid top so I think my original idea will have to do. If it wasn't a bowfront I like your idea!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back