Hanging T5s?

scsdukefan408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new light fixture and I was wondering how high off the tank I should hang the ati fixture. The tank is a 33 long 48x13x14 mixed reef and the light is ati 36" 4x39w with a 36" reefbrite blue.

Thanks

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it dimmable? I have kept an ATI anywhere from 12 to 24" depending on what I was doing.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm in the exact same boat as you and this is the answer i came up with in my research:
it is literally impossible to realistically tell you how high to keep it off the water surface. the height of your tank, height of rock, type of corals kept, age of bulbs and clarity of water all play a factor that can't be assumed through black and white answers.
to truly do things accurately a par meter is the only way and unfortunately even just borrowing one won't solve it as t5 bulbs change over time meaning that the light level will as well.
if you aren't concerned about all of that then you just hang it and observe your corals reaction to the new light but start higher and work your way down to avoid rapid issues.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm in the exact same boat as you and this is the answer i came up with in my research:
it is literally impossible to realistically tell you how high to keep it off the water surface. the height of your tank, height of rock, type of corals kept, age of bulbs and clarity of water all play a factor that can't be assumed through black and white answers.
to truly do things accurately a par meter is the only way and unfortunately even just borrowing one won't solve it as t5 bulbs change over time meaning that the light level will as well.
if you aren't concerned about all of that then you just hang it and observe your corals reaction to the new light but start higher and work your way down to avoid rapid issues.

Agreed, I think 12" above the water level is a good start.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hang it an attractive, easy to work in the tank distance. IMO 12 is pretty good. a little closer for more par. Acclimate too. with t5s you can use shorter photoperiods rather than a dimmer.
the center at 8in should get to about 600 to 800 par.

OP
OP
scsdukefan408

scsdukefan408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed, I think 12" above the water level is a good start.

hang it an attractive, easy to work in the tank distance. IMO 12 is pretty good. a little closer for more par. Acclimate too. with t5s you can use shorter photoperiods rather than a dimmer.
the center at 8in should get to about 600 to 800 par.

Thanks guys for the advice

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back