Hanging wires in drywall ceiling?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did follow it back and it goes into our air unit room and It is in fact the duct. I cant tell if it has studs around it or not though. Its looking like I might have to make arms that come off the wall.

There would be a good chance that it is framed very lightly to just support the drywall

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled a hole then went to my attic and ran a board over the rafters which then I anchored everything to that. I did not trust anything else.

SuperSaiyanTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used a single profile t-slot over mine. it's attached to the joist in the ceiling in three spots. i had planned on painting it with ceiling paint lol! but you know how that goes... i chose this method in case my lighting changes over the life of the tank, i can easily swap out to other fixtures without having to drill/repair more holes in the ceiling.

Untitled by shaun s., on Flickr

That's genius. Which t-slot and hanging hardware did you use?

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same for the aquaticlife fixture. I was lucky to have the joists just about line up so that the canopy hung level even though it's not centered. If the joist were going to be way off I would have either used a rail or a piece of wood and secured the canopy to that. I also cut and crimped the wires that hold up the canopy.

XwYkc3vl.jpg

nIlYV7wl.jpg

meuIcJwl.jpg

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the weight of the canopy (including lights) and how long have you had it hung this way?
It’s been hanging for two months now and my guess is it’s about 40 pounds. I’ll be adding an Orphek strip in the next week or two and after that I’d say 45-50 pounds total weight.

Back