**** Hanna Alk Reagent

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is more of a vent. My tank is on autopilot. Alkalinity is always at 8.0-8.3 for the better part of a year. I don’t test as often anymore since I started using a doser. I tested the other day and got 8.6 and today I got 9.4. Okay, maybe some corals in the tank aren’t consuming like they used to, who knows. Anyway I bought two new bottles of reagent just in case the current bottle was testing off, as I’m at the bottom and it’s been open for longer than a month. Both new bottles are testing at 10.3. So I took out the Salifert kit and it tested 9.4. Salifert always tests higher than Hanna. The fact that Salifert and Hanna test the same, tells me my tank is around 8.6ish. what the heck is up with the new Hanna bottles that are testing through the roof. Rant over. Off to buy another bottle from a different store so I get a different lot.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know
My test says Alk is very high also.
Lot #0135
New box of Fritz rpm salt tests at 9.
Its usually about 8.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know
My test says Alk is very high also.
Lot #0135
New box of Fritz rpm salt tests at 9.
Its usually about 8.

Houston, I think we have a problem.
3ABE4B30-D024-4281-9D87-1FF72C739052.jpeg

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, easily the biggest knock on the Hanna ALK test is that Hanna does not seem to have quality control on their reagents. Everytime, I use a new reagent bottle, it seems to be a bit different than the one I was using. Salifert never varies.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, easily the biggest knock on the Hanna ALK test is that Hanna does not seem to have quality control on their reagents. Everytime, I use a new reagent bottle, it seems to be a bit different than the one I was using. Salifert never varies.

It’s because you slowly contaminate the bottle you are using and some evaporated ect.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Houston, I think we have a problem.
3ABE4B30-D024-4281-9D87-1FF72C739052.jpeg
That batch was reading about 0.6 high for me, I just labelled the bottle so I remembered to subtract the difference. It's wise to always compare the same sample with old and new reagent.

I no longer use Hanna for Alk as it was too inconsistent.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That batch was reading about 0.6 high for me, I just labelled the bottle so I remembered to subtract the difference. It's wise to always compare the same sample with old and new reagent.

I no longer use Hanna for Alk as it was too inconsistent.
What test kit do you rely on to be consistent ?

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using my Hanna Alk for years and this is the first time I am experiencing this issue. That lot definitely has an issue because I have two bottles and they are doing the same thing. Tomorrow I’ll be at Top Shelf Aquatics. I’ll buy another bottle if it’s a different lot. Otherwise I am scrapping the checker and going to only Salifert.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit do you rely on to be consistent ?
I switched a while back to using a ph meter and a bottle of 0.1N HCl and calculating Alk manually.
That is always accurate and consistent, but is not as convenient.

Recently I switched to an automatic gadget (kH Keeper) that does the same thing automagically.

However, the Salifert Alk test really cannot be beaten for ease of use and reliability with the same accuracy as the Hanna.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both new bottles are testing at 10.3. So I took out the Salifert kit and it tested 9.4. Salifert always tests higher than Hanna. The fact that Salifert and Hanna test the same, tells me my tank is around 8.6ish.

That statement makes 0 sense.

Hanna says 10.3, and salifert says 9.4. So if the salifert always reads high compared to he hanna(Not my experience with the hanna), how are they the same number, and tells you your tank is 8.6?

Yes bad batches of reagents are a known issue. Perhaps that lot is off? I just looked through my cupboard, and the 10 bottles I have are no where near that lot #.

Might be worth writing an email to hanna. They have been known to pull certain lot numbers, and give refunds for anyone with those lot numbers.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That statement makes 0 sense
Makes plenty of sense if you read my whole post. My current bottle of Hanna reads 9.4 but I am at the bottom of the bottle. So I tested with Salifert and also got 9.4. But I know Salifert to always test higher than Hanna which means my Hanna bottle that is almost finished is testing higher than it really is (opened too long, maybe?). So the tank is probably sitting where it was last week which was 8.6 or considerably less than the 9.4 that Saifert says. A new bottle of reagent would confirm this but these new bottles are ******. The two new bottles from Hanna (lot #0135) are testing well over 10 and based on how Salifert always tests higher than Hanna in my experience, that is simply not correct and there is something wrong with that lot.

I’ve had bottles of reagent that test much higher at the bottom of the bottle, then I just open a new bottle and it tests normal. To test over a full 1dKH higher is a problem, especially when someone with the same lot has the same issue above.

Last edited:

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up two new bottles during the Memorial Day sales. My bottles have different batch # than those posted above and seem fine so far. Mine were newer than those pictured though. Mine have a 09/2023 expiration vs the 08/2023 of the problematic bottles pictured above. I got them from premiumaquatics.

Whenever I open a new reagent bottle, I usually do two tests back 2 back, one using the old reagent and one using the new bottle so that I can see if they are close or not. Often times, it seems as if the old bottle starts to drift off from the correct result, but opening a new bottle gets it back on track. This new bottle matched the result from my old bottle exactly. I've been adjusting my doser lately so doing a lot of ALK tests so I went through the last bottle in under a month, so I didn't expect it to drift much in that time.

my new bottle gave me the exact result I was expecting, so it appears to be fine.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes plenty of sense if you read my whole post. My current bottle of Hanna reads 9.4 but I am at the bottom of the bottle. So I tested with Salifert and also got 9.4. But I know Salifert to always test higher than Hanna which means my Hanna bottle that is almost finished is testing higher than it really is (opened too long, maybe?). So the tank is probably sitting where it was last week which was 8.6 or considerably less than the 9.4 that Saifert says. A new bottle of reagent would confirm this but these new bottles are ******. The two new bottles from Hanna (lot #0135) are testing well over 10 and based on how Salifert always tests higher than Hanna in my experience, that is simply not correct and there is something wrong with that lot.

I’ve had bottles of reagent that test much higher at the bottom of the bottle, then I just open a new bottle and it tests normal. To test over a full 1dKH higher is a problem, especially when someone with the same lot has the same issue above.
Now that you explained it, it makes sense.

The statement as quoted did not. I did read the entire post, and was still slightly confused. lol

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried two brand new, unopened bottles with the same lot number (0135) and both test with similar results as my Salifert (all within 0.1dkh of each other with multiple tests). I’m guessing it’s not a lot issue. I’m wondering if the reagent you have was exposed to extreme temp (hot or cold) in transit or in storage before reaching you. So many of us get varying test results with different batches of reagent. I’m speaking for myself and other hobbyists that understand the range of error, testing protocol, and that not all test kits will give the same number. I never hear people complaining of their new Salifert test kit being way off from their previous test kit (maybe it’s widespread, but I haven’t noticed). There are a ton of posts regarding the Hanna. Many from old, veteran reefers that know what they’re doing. I’m not saying this is the case, but I’m very curious if temperature during shipment or storage has played a role in this.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried two brand new, unopened bottles with the same lot number (0135) and both test with similar results as my Salifert (all within 0.1dkh of each other with multiple tests). I’m guessing it’s not a lot issue. I’m wondering if the reagent you have was exposed to extreme temp (hot or cold) in transit or in storage before reaching you. So many of us get varying test results with different batches of reagent. I’m speaking for myself and other hobbyists that understand the range of error, testing protocol, and that not all test kits will give the same number. I never hear people complaining of their new Salifert test kit being way off from their previous test kit (maybe it’s widespread, but I haven’t noticed). There are a ton of posts regarding the Hanna. Many from old, veteran reefers that know what they’re doing. I’m not saying this is the case, but I’m very curious if temperature during shipment or storage has played a role in this.

Maybe, I live in Orlando and it’s bloody hot. So who knows. I have three bottles currently open and using and they all give different results. I know what I’m doing. Been using my Hanna checker for 4 years and never an issue until recently. All three bottles range from 9.3 - 10.6. I pretty much rely on Salifert now. I love my Hanna PO4 ULR, NO3 HR and pH but I’m done with the Alk checker.

edit: my tank is currently 9.3 with Salifert.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, I live in Orlando and it’s bloody hot. So who knows. I have three bottles currently open and using and they all give different results. I know what I’m doing. Been using my Hanna checker for 4 years and never an issue until recently. All three bottles range from 9.3 - 10.6. I pretty much rely on Salifert now. I love my Hanna PO4 ULR, NO3 HR and pH but I’m done with the Alk checker.

edit: my tank is currently 9.3 with Salifert.
I hear ya, believe me. I’m pretty much blind now so performing testing is impossible. The Hanna checkers have been a lifesaver for me, outside of the reagent issues. It bothers me throwing out reagent when there’s still enough for maybe ten tests. I just can’t trust the bottom of the barrel as the dkh results drop pretty quick at the end. It sucks getting a new bottle and it’s off a full dkh from the last, as is often the case. About every five tests with the Hanna, I have someone help me with a Salifert test just to check to see if/when it starts to deviate. I believe the checker toy itself to be a great tool, the reagent…..uh I dunno. I started buying enough reagent to last half the year around the beginning of October. I’ve noticed that the results are much closer than when I would just get a bottle with my monthly food/additive order. Part of why I’m wondering about temp.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that Hanna state the shelf life once opened is 3 months (6 absolutely max if kept in perfect conditions), and also that there are 25 tests in a bottle, not 30. You're supposed to toss that last 5 ml.

Keeping the reagent in the fridge seems to extend the life, although Hanna recommend against it.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that Hanna state the shelf life once opened is 3 months (6 absolutely max if kept in perfect conditions), and also that there are 25 tests in a bottle, not 30. You're supposed to toss that last 5 ml.

Keeping the reagent in the fridge seems to extend the life, although Hanna recommend against it.
Yeah I know. Hanna doesn’t tell you to throw away the remainder, they just state the number of tests. I don’t always get 25 tests with a freshly opened bottle within a month. Sometimes it starts to drift before that. I don’t keep Hanna reagents around that long for that reason. I also do not contaminate the syringe, tip, or bottle. I don’t leave the cap off, suck air in the syringe, etc. All the normal stuff that. I know that there is a tolerance and no two bottles, or test kits will register the same. There is a pattern with Hanna reagent, for who knows what reason. All that said, I’ve never had issues with Salifert. I’ve had Salifert reagent for several months after opening without issue. I’ve never had the swings from bottle to bottle with Salifert. The op was having an issue with a suspected bad lot, I have three bottles with the same lot number. I’ve only opened two as I don’t feel like wasting another bottle as I only opened both new bottles to check for the op as I’m still using a bottle from a different lot. I have no issue with either bottle. That’s where I think there is an outside factor that can affect unopened bottles during shipping or storage. I’m not bashing Hanna, I couldn’t live without them. I just think that there are enough issues going around for them to dive into it.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back