OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that Hanna state the shelf life once opened is 3 months (6 absolutely max if kept in perfect conditions), and also that there are 25 tests in a bottle, not 30. You're supposed to toss that last 5 ml.

I’ve used bottles down to the last drop with zero issues. I’m one of those conspiracy nuts. They don’t want you to refrigerate bc then you have to buy more as it starts to go bad. LOL I do believe there is a quality issue with the reagents. For different lots to be so far off, I don’t like it. I don’t test everyday anymore so back to Salifert I go.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think @Lasse posted a little while back about a methodology he found that helps keeps readings more consistent with the Hannah reagent - refrigeration and shaking. I have experienced slight fluctuations in the past (especially with the reagent as it gets near the bottom of the bottle) but keeping it in my fridge and gently shaking before using has helped keep my readings much more consistent. Not sure if it's a placebo effect or not (lol) but something worth trying.

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think @Lasse posted a little while back about a methodology he found that helps keeps readings more consistent with the Hannah reagent - refrigeration and shaking. I have experienced slight fluctuations in the past (especially with the reagent as it gets near the bottom of the bottle) but keeping it in my fridge and gently shaking before using has helped keep my readings much more consistent. Not sure if it's a placebo effect or not (lol) but something worth trying.

I concur. I refrigerate mine & I do not see this "drift" I used too.... I haven't tried shaking it though....

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I refrigerate mine as well and shake it a little before using. Has been pretty consistent.

Do you hava an alk calibration vial? Just wondering if there could be something with your Hanna especially if it is a couple years old. Would be worth running multiple calibration tests to see if they are consistent with each other.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you hava an alk calibration vial? Just wondering if there could be something with your Hanna especially if it is a couple years old. Would be worth running multiple calibration tests to see if they are consistent with each other.

I don’t, but I’m not using it anymore. I went back to only Salifert. At least for now. If I start using it again, I’ll pick up the calibration vial.

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Interesting!
I just bought a refill. lot 0244
the 1st test came back with 9.7 a few days ago. I refridgerated the it and ran antoher test today. 9.7. Ok cool but my ALkatronic says its 9.0, my trident says 8.73. Salifert says its 9.7 but salifert has always ran high. So who knows!

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd share my experience with my current bottle of Hanna KH reagent which I have been using for a month and have concluded that it is measuring at least 1 KH too high...

I opened a new bottle of Hanna KH reagent on 23rd June. The first measurement was 8.2 compared to 7.7 using the previous bottle. I tested with a Salifert kit which measured 7.3.

-I maintain my tank at around 7.4 which aligns with the published KH for the Tropic Marin Pro salt I use.
-I only use the Salifert when I suspect my Hanna measurement.
-I always refrigerate my KH reagent.
-I test KH once a week and all the measurements with the bottle opened on 23/06 have been in the high 8's.

I mixed a new batch of water mixed with Tropic Marin Pro salt. After leaving it churning overnight, I checked and adjusted the salinity to 35.0 by testing with both my Hanna probe and a freshly calibrated refractometer.

I tested the KH on the new batch of water with the bottle of reagent opened on 23/06, it measured 8.9. I tested with the Salifert and measured 7.4 which aligns with the salt. I tested with the Hanna again, but used a syringe from the previous bottle of reagent because it needed more pressure to move the plunger, result 8.9. I then allowed the reagent to reach room temp (23 degrees) and tested again, result 8.9.

I'll post the reagent batch number when I get home tonight.

I'm ordering a new bottle of reagent, I'll post the batch number and result when I get it.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting!
I just bought a refill. lot 0244
the 1st test came back with 9.7 a few days ago. I refridgerated the it and ran antoher test today. 9.7. Ok cool but my ALkatronic says its 9.0, my trident says 8.73. Salifert says its 9.7 but salifert has always ran high. So who knows!
Exactly..

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current lot of reagent is 8 months expired and still dead on with salifert.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna ALK reagent gets cloudy/clumps in it as it nears the end of the bottle. Like bacterial growth or something... I think I'm going to start keeping mine in the fridge too. See if that stops it.

besides my opened bottle, I have (3) more unopened bottles still on the shelf. All different lot numbers, but they all expire 09/2023.

Do unopened bottled need to be stored in the fridge too, or just once they are opened?

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refrigerator is your best friend here I keep everything refrigerated even the dry reagent pouches I get significantly more consistent readings after I just lasse method.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always keep a salifert Alk test kit on hand, so that I can verify readings should I ever run into this issue.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made an alk reference standard following Randy's guidance and tested both Salifert and Hanna.

The Salifert tested dead-on, every time. Hanna tended to drift.

Given how quick and easy it is to perform a salifert alk test, at this point I'm not sure there's any value (for me) in the Hanna alk checker.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind all these tests are hobby grade and have similar accuracy (+-5%) so some drift is expected, especially combined with the potential for user error.

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current reagent is Lot 0135, Expires 08 2023.

My results are consistent, but over 1dKH too high with the current reagent.

I'll post the test results from the new reagent.

I've made an alk reference standard following Randy's guidance and tested both Salifert and Hanna.

The Salifert tested dead-on, every time. Hanna tended to drift.

Given how quick and easy it is to perform a salifert alk test, at this point I'm not sure there's any value (for me) in the Hanna alk checker.

^^Agree with this.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone gotten the alk calibration check set? I'm curious if the calibration sets may be a worthwhile investment for my testers.

Are you asking about the Hanna colored water vials?

Not very useful, IMO, as it only checks the electronics, not all the other possible problems with Hanna alk, from reagents to vials to exact user methodology.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back