Hanna Alkalinity Reagent

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the alkalinity reagent decays once open.
I confirmed the report the older the alkalinity reagent the higher the reading.
I bought a new reagent and tested it against the older reagent.
Older reagent 8.8, New reagent 7.9.
This is the second time I notice the discrepancy.
Maybe I’ll try refrigerating this new bottle of reagent.
Does anybody know how to keep the reagent stable?

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone noticed mold like residue in the reagent? The first time I used mine, I did. The reagent was brand new and doesn't expire for a good year.

nemo1017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The refrigeration helps a little with the chunks. Still have a little bit of the chunks after refrigeration, but not as much when compared to an opened bottle sitting out. As far as the reading, I think it does decay rapidly when opened and this throws off the results a little bit. Strangely though, refrigeration helps keep the reagent fresher a little while longer.

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote to Hanna about the inaccuracy issue of the aging of the regent, of course they say they haven't heard of any issue. I didn't tell them about the mold like substance we see in the reagents.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing every day I go thru the reagent pretty fast. Some people don't test regularly enough and may keep their test kits in the aquarium stands. My test kits are in my kitchen cabinet and stay a way for moisture.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a alkalinity Hanna checker should be coming tomorrow. Should I have to worry about it not being accurate? I also ordered the refill agent with it. I hope I did not spend that kind of money on a test kit that is in accurate.

CJBuckeyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm traveling for week for work and my girlfriend is checking the all while I'm gone. It's been dead-on at 9.5 for a month. Today she texted me to say it measured 8.5. She checked again and got 8.5. I was freaking out half way around the world, then she let me know she opened a new bottle of reagent. I just got the new one in the mail a week ago. Hoping that it's a Hanna reagent issue, and that I don't come home to a dead SPS tank this week.

Where is my SPS probe already? :)

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm traveling for week for work and my girlfriend is checking the all while I'm gone. It's been dead-on at 9.5 for a month. Today she texted me to say it measured 8.5. She checked again and got 8.5. I was freaking out half way around the world, then she let me know she opened a new bottle of reagent. I just got the new one in the mail a week ago. Hoping that it's a Hanna reagent issue, and that I don't come home to a dead SPS tank this week.

Where is my SPS probe already? :)
Yes I here you this is a big problem. I think were gonna need individual packed dose or smaller bottles or a response from Hanna.

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I've been using mine for about two month and haven't noticed anything like chunks or mold. I just ordered two new bottles though, as the first is almost gone.

Out of curiosity how long does it usually take before anyone is seeing the chunks and mold? How long does it take before depleting the bottle of reagent?

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I've been using mine for about two month and haven't noticed anything like chunks or mold. I just ordered two new bottles though, as the first is almost gone.

Out of curiosity how long does it usually take before anyone is seeing the chunks and mold? How long does it take before depleting the bottle of reagent?
Do two test in a row. One test with the old reagent and then one test with the new reagent. Could you tell us your results?

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a alkalinity Hanna checker should be coming tomorrow. Should I have to worry about it not being accurate? I also ordered the refill agent with it. I hope I did not spend that kind of money on a test kit that is in accurate.
They are usually spot on and very easy to use.

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna Instruments here, thank you for using our products.

The HI755-26 Marine Alkalinity Reagent follows the Colorimetric Method in which the reaction causes a distinctive range of colors from yellow to green to blue to develop. When keeping this reagent you need to store it at room temperature (+15°C to +25°C) (59F-77F) and protect from light and moisture.

Keeping the Alkalinity regent in an aquarium cabinet near a sump is not ideal. It’s very common for the stand of an aquarium to exceed 77F, especially if you are running lights for a refugium, have pumps or other electronic equipment near the reagents. In addition aquarium stands tend to be very humid environments and thus not ideal for storage of reagents. Please keep your reagents in a cool, dry place that doesn’t have great variations in temperature or moisture levels. All of our reagents come with a Safety Data Sheet listed on their product page on our website. If you go to the safety data sheet there will be a section for handling and storage for each reagent.

Finding “chunks” in your HI755-26 reagent is no cause for concern. There are no reportable problems associated with “chunks” and you can gently shake the bottle before use to mitigate any particulates. Should you see "chunks" in your cuvette we recommend letting them settle to the bottom or rise to the top before preforming analysis.

If you have any questions, comments and problems with your reagents or any other Hanna product, please contact [email protected] or call 877-MY-HANNA. We value our customers and strive provide the best experience for your testing needs.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back