Hanna Alkalinity Reagent

  • Thread starter Thread starter gpwdr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I have used Hanna checkers for Alkalinity and ULR Phosphorus for years. I will admit I had issues with test complexity and repeatability with the Calcium checker, but the ALK and ULR Phosphorus have been great.

The trick I think with any of these is establishing trends. I test ALK often, and I never make a big change based on one measurement, and always take into account if a new reagent is in use. This will keep you from making knee-jerk reactions that will cause your ALK to swing up and down.

It is good to know that the particulate in the reagent is not an issue!
Good luck!

Our HI758 Calcium Checker uses a 100 to 1 dilution to analyze calcium. It is important to make sure you are using the new HI731339P volumetric pipette to administer saltwater sample to the cuvette. Any increased or decreased sample size will result in inaccurate readings. I have a discount code for owners of the old calcium checker to purchase the new pipette if you would like one.

http://hannainst.com/graduated-pipette-100-l-hi731339p.html

In addition, it is best to use a lab grade reverse osmosis/deionized water with near zero total dissolved solids when zeroing the Checker at C1 phase. Calcium can be found in many freshwater sources and any amount present in the original freshwater used can lead to inaccurate readings.

Also visit our blog to make sure you are following our 8 checker best practices such as indexing the cuvette in the same position every time, removing any air bubbles, finger prints or smudges and using separate pipettes/syringes for freshwater and saltwater.

http://blog.hannainst.com/checker-best-practices

Hope this helps and the HI758 Calcium Checker does have an accuracy rating of ±6% of reading so there is some expected variations even if all best practices are followed.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 31 30.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new