Hanna calcium checker help

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got a hanna calcium checker and the instructions say I need to use distilled water. Is it ok to use RODI water? I looked around and I see that some people say it's fine while some people say it's not.
Any thoughts on this?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So I just got a hanna calcium checker and the instructions say I need to use distilled water. Is it ok to use RODI water? I looked around and I see that some people say it's fine while some people say it's not.
Any thoughts on this?
I use RO water with no issues

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.
Distilled is technically better but Zero TDS. RODI would not have ions that might mess up the test results.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on this?
RODI is fine, been using it for 5 years.

Make sure you are very precise with all fluid measurements with that checker.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna calcium checker is a poor design, IMO, that is freakishly sensitive to small amounts of calcium in the blank.

Whether RO/DI is acceptable will depend on the calcium level in it, and most folks cannot measure the low levels that might be present. Thus, the suitability of RO/DI will vary from user to user.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna calcium checker is a poor design, IMO, that is freakishly sensitive to small amounts of calcium in the blank.

Whether RO/DI is acceptable will depend on the calcium level in it, and most folks cannot measure the low levels that might be present. Thus, the suitability of RO/DI will vary from user to user.
I didn't consider Ca in the DI water.

I have extremely soft tap water (input TDS < 50), so I guess that is why I've never had a problem with the checker after using accurate pipettes for each step.

Thanks

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't consider Ca in the DI water.

I have extremely soft tap water (input TDS < 50), so I guess that is why I've never had a problem with the checker after using accurate pipettes for each step.

Thanks
Your tap water tds is similar to mine as well, mine is around 35 tds. I checked with hanna and turns out my calcium is 497. I checked with salifert and it turned out to 480ish. So it's kind of similar results.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Guy does a great job explaining how to use the Hanna Calcium checker.

Is the clicker thing for the sample water something they put in after initial release? I've never seen it before and my kit didn't have it, unless my memory is failing me.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the clicker thing for the sample water something they put in after initial release? I've never seen it before and my kit didn't have it, unless my memory is failing me.
The only clicker I am aware of is for our garage door? My Checker has no clicker, and I don’t have time to watch the video

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the video, Hanna said that 2 stage sample water clicker comes in the newer kits. Perhaps you have an older kit?

I got mine a week ago and came with the 2 stage unit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230227_140318_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230227_140318_Gallery.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 64

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the video, Hanna said that 2 stage sample water clicker comes in the newer kits. Perhaps you have an older kit?

Yup,! I got mine back in the beginning of the Cambrian Checker Explosion. I will have to see what the clicker’s function is and decide if I need one for better number resolutions.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup,! I got mine back in the beginning of the Cambrian Checker Explosion. I will have to see what the clicker’s function is and decide if I need one for better number resolutions.
Honestly I cant see really any benefit with the 2 stage plunger, I pull up the sample water and when dispensing it into the vial your suppose to press it to the final stage. For me it doesn't expel any more droplets at all. I guess it might change though, as I start to use it more often.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wasn't sure if the Hanna video was a revised one for the kit or the original. I didn't get my kit at the initial release, I kept reading of people not getting consistent results. I think it had been out a year or so before I bought it.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't sure if the Hanna video was a revised one for the kit or the original. I didn't get my kit at the initial release, I kept reading of people not getting consistent results. I think it had been out a year or so before I bought it.
Yeah I'm not sure, I just got back into the hobby and we never had sophisticated devices for testing water like what we do now. I know there is a lot of people complaining about inconsistency in the tests and when I ran across this fellows video he explicitly mentions he was speaking to Hannah technologies directly on exactly how to use the two-stage plunger and also where your water line should actually be in the test vial. Anyways I'm getting very consistent results and him quite happy with the kids so far.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 'clicker' thing is a pipette. I expect it was added to the kit after people reported difficulties with getting accurate results. The 2 stage mechanism is the standard way for pipette's to work. The guy in the video does a decent job of explaining how to aspirate with a pipette. Mastering the use of the 2 stage stops is really the only requirement for getting accurate volumes using a pipette.

Dave Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Understanding that this thread is months old ...

In your opinion, is the Hanna calcium checker accurate if one uses distilled water?

Reef Devils

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on this?
I sometimes use RODI. Never have had a problem

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 59 42.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 68 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.6%
Back