Hanna checker phosphate question

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys I been testing my po4 with hanna checker phosphate ulr for about a month it always says 0.03.....so I decided to test it with my hanna checker low range and it says 0.00......so what's u guys my think phosphate is at?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys I been testing my po4 with hanna checker phosphate ulr for about a month it always says 0.03.....so I decided to test it with my hanna checker low range and it says 0.00......so what's u guys my think phosphate is at?
The allowable error rate for the Hanna phosphate ULR is +- .02 so both test kits are probably correct....or as close as you are going to get with hobby grade test kits. I just realized you are in Broadview Heights...right down the road lol.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you find it’s a pain with the unit timing out while you’re processing the sample….?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The unit shuts off after 2 minutes. I do the calibration then it takes like 3 minutes to use the reagent and shake the sample so the units shuts off. power saver or something
Which model,do,you have? The 774 does shut off in 2 mins, you get plenty of time, I believe the phosphorus check has a very short shut off timer tho.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which model,do,you have? The 774 does shut off in 2 mins, you get plenty of time, I believe the phosphorus check has a very short shut off timer tho.
F64D2DBF-754B-4B78-96B2-00F091177B24.jpeg

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wait what? I have the ulr phosphate hanna checker ur saying it the wroung test kit? For a reef
It’s low range…good enough for fish only system. For reef tank where the ideal phosphate is 0.04 ppm, it does not measure that low properly. It will always show as zero. Been there done that and that’s how I know. Here is the link to 736.

do remember to convert from phosphorus to phosphate. I generally read 10 on 736 as good. Less than that is not good either. Anything above 30, time to check what’s causing the extra phosphate…

hope that was helpful

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s low range…good enough for fish only system. For reef tank where the ideal phosphate is 0.04 ppm, it does not measure that low properly. It will always show as zero. Been there done that and that’s how I know. Here is the link to 736.

do remember to convert from phosphorus to phosphate. I generally read 10 on 736 as good. Less than that is not good either. Anything above 30, time to check what’s causing the extra phosphate…

hope that was helpful
I have this one https://www.hannainst.com/phosphate...C1OjwqSKS2rGTxsjaaRUaD3X8ctGivtAaAjS8EALw_wcB

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait what? I have the ulr phosphate hanna checker ur saying it the wroung test kit? For a reef
That checker has a -/+ of .04 I believe so your tank could be at .04 but the reading could be showing zero, likewise the tank could be zero but your checker showing .04 so not great if you are aiming for .03 but you could aim for say .05 which would keep you in the safe zone, above zero and below .1, so you don’t ever hit zero po4 in your tank, many aim for under .1 so don’t think you have to hit .03.

I always recommend the 774 model, it has a -/+ of .02 and the cutoff timer is more than enough to carry out all the steps before the checker cuts off.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That checker has a -/+ of .04 I believe so your tank could be at .04 but the reading could be showing zero, likewise the tank could be zero but your checker showing .04 so not great if you are aiming for .03 but you could aim for say .05 which would keep you in the safe zone, above zero and below .1, so you don’t ever hit zero po4 in your tank, many aim for under .1 so don’t think you have to hit .03.

I always recommend the 774 model, it has a -/+ of .02 and the cutoff timer is more than enough to carry out all the steps before the checker cuts off.
My tank always reads 0.01 with my checker

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank always reads 0.01 with my checker
Think I got my posts mixed up, you have the 736? The phosphorus checker, it has a -/+ of 10ppb which is .03 so is more than fine for your tank, just aim for .04 or above so you are always above zero.aiming for .04 means your tank could be anywhere from .01 to .07 if the reading is showing 0.04.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back