OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I got my posts mixed up, you have the 736? The phosphorus checker, it has a -/+ of 10ppb which is .03 so is more than fine for your tank, just aim for .04 or above so you are always above zero.aiming for .04 means your tank could be anywhere from .01 to .07 if the reading is showing 0.04.
I have the HI774 Ultra Low Range Phosphate checker and it always says my tank is at 0.01

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the HI774 Ultra Low Range Phosphate checker and it always says my tank is at 0.01
Lol I’ll get it right in a minute. I’m in the UK we have a heat wave here, it’s 27c atm unbearable, so I blame the heat ;)

What size tank? Your tank could be stable at .01, have you tried testing just after feeding, see if it goes up.

I’m guessing you are worried it’s not an accurate reading being .01 all the time?

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I’ll get it right in a minute. I’m in the UK we have a heat wave here, it’s 27c atm unbearable, so I blame the heat ;)

What size tank? Your tank could be stable at .01, have you tried testing just after feeding, see if it goes up.

I’m guessing you are worried it’s but an accurate reading being .01 all the time?
Lol dam that's hot...yea it been reading 0.01 for about a month has not moved even with weekly water changes.....I just hope is not zero

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol dam that's hot...yea it been reading 0.01 for about a month has not moved even with weekly water changes.....I just hope is not zero
Yeah could be zero or .03, if worried you could feed more, coral food has loads of po4, but be careful as the sand and rock sucks up po4, just to release when you least expect it,, then you swap what you think is a low po4 issue to an algae problem.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah could be zero or .03, if worried you could feed more, coral food has loads of po4, but be careful as the sand and rock sucks up po4, just to release when you least expect it,, then you swap what you think is a low po4 issue to an algae problem.
I also have the hanna checker po4 low range and it says it's at 0.00

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the hanna checker po4 low range and it says it's at 0.00
Oh here we go again…the 713?
That one has a bigger margin of error, 0.04 and is less accurate at the lower end, so I would trust the 774, if my tank I would be aiming for a checker reading of at least .03, so I know for sure is at least .01.

I’ve had dinos, they are beatable, as I’ve done it but my tank is small, I wouldn’t want them in a big tank.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh here we go again…the 713?
That one has a bigger margin of error, 0.04 and is less accurate at the lower end, so I would trust the 774, if my tank I would be aiming for a checker reading of at least .03, so I know for sure is at least .01.

I’ve had dinos, they are beatable, as I’ve done it but my tank is small, I wouldn’t want them in a big tank.
Thanks lol I have both of those checkers the low range and the ulr one

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes don't make much difference with phosphate.

The vast majority of phosphate in your tank is bound to rock - at equilibrium with the water column. If you do a water change, you remove a tiny bit - the equilibrium shifts, and some comes out of the rock - and you end up at an imperceptibly lower level.

That being said, at .01, more isn't going to hurt you, and less may (and you're already below the error/accuracy range of that checker) - so I'd either start feeding more, or dosing phosphate.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The vast majority of phosphate in your tank is bound to rock - at equilibrium with the water column. If you do a water change, you remove a tiny bit - the equilibrium shifts, and some comes out of the rock - and you end up at an imperceptibly lower level.

That being said, at .01, more isn't going to hurt you, and less may (and you're already below the error/accuracy range of that checker) - so I'd either start feeding more, or dosing phosphate.

agree, feeding fish more would be my preference, be nice to the little guys but turning the skimmer off for a few hours a day or even a full day is another option.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I decided to move back water changes to bi weekly instead of weekly to see if that helps....I think I over feed honestly.......I do have po4 I can dose if I need to

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • None.

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.9%
Back