Hanna Checker Salinity Checker

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

just got one of the handheld salinity checkers from hanna. it reads okay, but have noticed its about .002 different from a refractometer. should i just be able to trust the salinity hanna shows me? I also question its accuracy because when i test my salt when im mixing for 1.026 for reef crystals calcium reads higher than i normally had it at. calcium is reading at 566 during mixing. so thats why i was wondering if the salinity checker is accurate because its mixing higher calcium than the brand says on bucket. brand says at 1.026 calicum shouldbe 455 not 555

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a calibration fluid?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several threads here on R2R in regards to the Hanna salinity checker.
Do your homework and do a search on the Hanna.

You may find your actual salinity is higher than what the Hanna reports.

OP
OP
S

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several threads here on R2R in regards to the Hanna salinity checker.
Do your homework and do a search on the Hanna.

You may find your actual salinity is higher than what the Hanna reports.
do you personally use a hanna?

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using a Hanna, I have a decently long thread with a few peoples opinions on it, ill post the link below. I just got my refractometer today as well as a hydrometer and will be comparing all my readings. Although im having some difficulty calibrating this refractometer so I may need to ask someone on the forum for some help. TBC

OP
OP
S

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using a Hanna, I have a decently long thread with a few peoples opinions on it, ill post the link below. I just got my refractometer today as well as a hydrometer and will be comparing all my readings. Although im having some difficulty calibrating this refractometer so I may need to ask someone on the forum for some help. TBC

thanks so much man! this is helpful

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna reads .02 higher compared to my refractometer... I just mix to 1.024 with the hanna and i'm done.

OP
OP
S

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all your input. i ordered a ati test. so im gona test my salinity before i send it in. i figure a lab is more accruate. so if it reads the same as the hanna i will let you all know.

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all your input. i ordered a ati test. so im gona test my salinity before i send it in. i figure a lab is more accruate. so if it reads the same as the hanna i will let you all know.
That would be appreciated!

OP
OP
S

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you get the Hanna, if you already had a working, reliable refractometer?
Would it not be possible that the refractometer is not reading properly
well before my salinity refracto was broken so my salinity was sitting at 1.021 when i thought it was 1.026. i wanted to try hanna since everyone said its reliable, but now i am struggling to trust it since i notice different readings. i bought a new refracto as well to compare. i know some things from hanna is accurate, but salinity they even said it is not Perfect
there might always be a .001 different up or down

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have had two of these.
Link to Product.

Wound up with my salinity way to high trusting this unit at 1.030.
Yes we can go through all the regiment but that's what both did for me identically.
Both units were .002 low.

I was concerned with my evaporation as my ATO had an issue while I was away for work.
When I got home and tested with my Hanna it read 1.028.
As I sometimes double check my other two units reported 1.030.
So after changing my underwear, I went through each devices cleaning and calibration process. I have a Milwaukee MA887, a ATS Refractometer, and the Hanna.
Consistently the Hanna read .002 low in comparison to the others.
The last time I calibrated the Hanna it quit on me. Hanna service did me well.
Had to ship the first one back and they sent a brand new one back.
Yup it read .002 low as well.
Though wrong they both were consistently wrong.

So now the unit sits in the drawer.

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update, I got my refractometer from BRS today and tested the water salinity. It read 1.028 SG (same as my Corallife hrydrometer). Whereas my Hanna is reading 1.025. Looks like my unit is about .002-3 off which is rather disappointing. Oh well. At least it is connsistantly incorrect (I think) so I might still use it when mixing saltwater, although Ill probably measure out exact amounts and log them so I dont need to constantly use a refractometer to find the sweet spot when mixing. thanks for all the help! :D

OP
OP
S

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Krixic!! I got an update too! I tested my water with all parameters and then i am sending in a sample to ATI. I checked my salinity with hanna and refractometer. i will confirm which its closer too. you cant get more accurate than a lab based test

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Krixic!! I got an update too! I tested my water with all parameters and then i am sending in a sample to ATI. I checked my salinity with hanna and refractometer. i will confirm which its closer too. you cant get more accurate than a lab based test
Very true, Im planning on doing a ATI or Triton ICP test soon as well. Probably once I finish my cycle to make sure my water is habitable and have no freak elements that slipped in.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back