Hanna checker

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what calibration I should use for the phosphate checker Hl744-25? A picture of it or link will be great. Thank you.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean "what calibration"? There is no calibration involved.

I would suggest to watch a couple of youtube video's, the test has to be very precisely or will get error readings.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean "what calibration"? There is no calibration involved.

I would suggest to watch a couple of youtube video's, the test has to be very precisely or will get error readings.
They make calibration tools to make sure the checker is on point. And it comes out wrong Hanna will send you a new one.

Upvote 0

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know they sell a test sample for the Alkalinity Checker to test the accuracy as I have one, but I haven't seen one for Phosphate. Did you look on their site or call them.

Upvote 0

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not familiar with HI744 model but I know they sell colored sample to test photometer reading for the common Phosphate ULR checker HI774.
Personally, I think the color sample is a waste of money.
I vote just use the tester and double-check against another test (like have LFS test) if you have reason to doubt the results.

Upvote 0

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A known color calibration standard is useful for a few things but not so much for troubleshooting, like you said.
Because of all of the errors I've seen people have with Hanna tests - it's almost never the optical/electronics that are the problem. It's almost always the more complicated chemistry side. The checkers themselves are highly unlikely to be the issue.
So to troubleshoot meaningfully, you either need to compare to another known accurate test as recommended earlier, or calculate and make your own stock solutions.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not familiar with HI744 model but I know they sell colored sample to test photometer reading for the common Phosphate ULR checker HI774.
I vote just use the tester and double-check against another test (like have LFS test) if you have reason to doubt the results.
I have test, lfs had a super high reading. So maybe I should just email Hanna for a new one.

Upvote 0

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna Instruments sells all their products on their website. Are you sure it isn't the HI-774 ultra low range phosphate checker?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make calibration tools to make sure the checker is on point. And it comes out wrong Hanna will send you a new one.
Never heard of it so I googled it, you're right. But its not available in Canada and I never heard of it or tried it before.

1684669719286.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna Instruments sells all their products on their website. Are you sure it isn't the HI-774 ultra low range phosphate checker?
Do the last 2 numbers not need to match? Mine is 25 not 11. Or is that just a number?

Upvote 0

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the last 2 numbers not need to match? Mine is 25 not 11. Or is that just a number?
Correct. Usually that is the number for the reagents. The number for the tester is before the dash.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's misleading for them to call this a calibration set. A true calibration that checked reagents and procedures would be far, far more useful. This product does not do anything like that.

Upvote 0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 60 42.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back