Hanna Copper Checker False Positives??

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I got a Hanna Copper test kit for BRS a week ago and after testing and testing I noticed I'm getting false readings on my QT tank. I also tried testing other waters and this is what I got.

1. QT Tank With Copper power (as per bottle instructions) 3.02 should be 2.0
  2. QT Tank test next day showed 2.03

1. Main DT Test #1: 0.21 (SHOULD BE 0)
  2. Then I did a 50% water change and waited 2 days to test again. Main DT Test #2 showed 0.18 (SHOULD BE 0)

1. RODI Water: 0

1. Coral QT tank: .37 (SHOULD BE 0)

I'm using Coral Pro Salt by Red Sea

All tanks are more than 10ft away from each other and my RODI machine is in the basement! I've also followed the Hanna instructions to the T. Any advice?

Last edited:

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I got a Hanna Copper test kit for BRS a week ago and after testing and testing I noticed I'm getting false readings on my QT tank. I also tried testing other waters and this is what I got.

2. Then I did a 50% water change and waited 2 days to test again. Main DT Test #2 showed 0.18 (SHOULD BE 0)

All tanks are more than 10ft away from each other and my RODI machine is in the basement! I've also followed the Hanna instructions to the T. Any advice?
I’m not an expert with this, but do have some experience to share. I do know the meter is not accurate in the lower ranges. So the 0 and 0.2 ish readings can be thrown out. It’s just not accurate at those levels. I am wondering if that first 3.0 test was an error somehow but the 2.03 test compares well with expected. I would keep checking the quarantine tank and see if those types of levels keep comparing to expected levels.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not an expert with this, but do have some experience to share. I do know the meter is not accurate in the lower ranges. So the 0 and 0.2 ish readings can be thrown out. It’s just not accurate at those levels. I am wondering if that first 3.0 test was an error somehow but the 2.03 test compares well with expected. I would keep checking the quarantine tank and see if those types of levels keep comparing to expected levels.
Thanks for the info! I will re-check the QT tank tomorrow. Running out of the powder. These dang kits only come with a few packets. I didn't know I would go on a testing frenzy.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Lots of best practices with these kits. Clean the vial of all finger prints and gently turn the water around to get rid of rubbles. Have the 10ml writing fave the front (just easiest way to know its always positioned the same). And then retest a few times to get the hang of it. I’ve definitely gotten a swing of more than .3 with two different tests minutes apart after really cleaning the vials etc.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i use a micro fiber every time b4 putting it in but alwaysing positioning the 10ml facing front is a good idea. Thanks

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean thoroughly, then always position the same, see if that works
I also buy reagents like 3 packs for a qt cycle, haven’t found a better way yet could be a bad checker

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had extremely repeatable results with mine. Agree with @dwest , this unit is not made for detecting low levels not associated with treatment.

I also wonder how you calculated the expected level on the QT tank? When using one of my 20 longs as an example the practical water volume when it's in use is only about 18 gallons. If I calculate for 20 gallons I would over shoot my target level.

It's best to start out the fish at about 1.0 with Copper Power and gradually go up over several days. For that reason it's best to under dose, test, repeat as needed to get to your targets. I try to go up about 0.35 or so each day and divide those doses in to one in the morning and one in the evening.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Yes, it is not useful for the low levels found in reef tanks, despite the Hanna claims of accuracy, and has scared many folks unnecessarily.

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is not useful for the low levels found in reef tanks, despite the Hanna claims of accuracy, and has scared many folks unnecessarily.
Thanks for the input. I'm one of those and did a 50% wc immediately lol. Not a bad thing necessarily but I did a 20% 2 days prior.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
test a fresh batch of Red Sea salt and see what it says.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the same pipette/syringe to fill your hanna vial and to dose copper power?
I did that before and make sure to use different ones now. Best practice to rinse pipettes and the vial with sample water before use anyways.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back