Hanna HI744 Phosphate Ultra Low Range Question

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am a little confused and want to make sure I am not reading this checker the wrong way since it is a ultra low range checker. When I get a 0.02 on my checker, is that the 0.02 I am shooting for to keep sps or does it need to be 0.20 with this checker? I didn't know if the ultra low range breaks it down in a different range or not. Thank you

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean the HI774 ULR Phosphate checker, right? If so, you're shooting for the range 0.05-0.10 with this checker. Many run this range or a tad higher. Targeting 0.02 is within the accuracy tolerance for the checker, so best to aim a little higher to be sure.

OP
OP
GoTakeANap

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You mean the HI774 ULR Phosphate checker, right? If so, you're shooting for the range 0.05-0.10 with this checker. Many run this range or a tad higher. Targeting 0.02 is within the accuracy tolerance for the checker, so best to aim a little higher to be sure.
Good to know. At the moment it was at 0.22 last week. I added some Phosguard to get it back in check. Guessing my Fuge isn't keeping up anymore. I'll cut back on feeding bc that is the only thing it could be. Only feed frozen.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cutting back on feeding your fish might actually cause harm for your corals. Some corals cannot use nitrate at all of nitrogen and those that can have to use extra energy in the 30-80% range to convert the nitrate back to ammonium. Also, the other types of phosphorous from fish waste are likely more used than orthophosphate (po4). I would not cut any feedings, but rather up the export if you are worried about po4 accumulating.

If your fuge has slowed down, divide your chateo and add some iron if you are not keeping up with water changes.

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cutting back on feeding your fish might actually cause harm for your corals. Some corals cannot use nitrate at all of nitrogen and those that can have to use extra energy in the 30-80% range to convert the nitrate back to ammonium. Also, the other types of phosphorous from fish waste are likely more used than orthophosphate (po4).
That's Awesome. I just listened to a podcast where Lou Ekus was explaining this.
You my friend, just got a new follower

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back