Hanna Low Range Nitrate Checker Issue - Is it Me?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this error when I did my second test using the checker. In my case it was user error. I cleaned the filter housing, when I put it back together I flipped the filter plates, the round the filter sits on.

On one side of those there are slots that match up to four “ridges” on the inside of the housing halves. If you put those on upside they are raised off the filter housing and “debris” slips buy the filter. This seems to through off the test. The same thing happens you don’t align the slots with the ridges.

if it were me designing those parts I think I would have designed in a wedged “key way” that would align the plates properly and would only let the plates go in one way. I know now it’s likely to expensive to make that kind of a change because of the costing the molds. But Hanna could at least print some alignment marks on the parts or something.

TonyP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really not that complicated once you've performed it two or three times, it becomes natural, its just time consuming. Overall, is a great test to start first, so you complete any other tests while this one is running...
I agree with BReefer13, the tester is great and I prefer the digital display over guessing on color matching. The instructions may seem too wordy at first but once you get used to using the tester - there's nothing complicated about it.
Now, if Hanna Inst. could make a Mg tester for us that would be great!

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with BReefer13, the tester is great and I prefer the digital display over guessing on color matching. The instructions may seem too wordy at first but once you get used to using the tester - there's nothing complicated about it.
Now, if Hanna Inst. could make a Mg tester for us that would be great!
Agree. The Nitrate checker is one my favorites. Wish Hanna could fix Calcium checker so it was reliable.

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 out of 3 times I use this I either have stuff get past the filter paper, or it leaks through the threads.

I'm very careful too, with the gasket, paper placement, etc........

Still sucks. I emailed Hanna to request more filter paper and reagent because I've waste so much.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 out of 3 times I use this I either have stuff get past the filter paper, or it leaks through the threads.

Still sucks. I emailed Hanna to request more filter paper and reagent because I've waste so much.
Are you making sure the ridges on the discs always point inside towards the filter paper? Each disc has ridges only on one side, and those need to be facing the filter paper.

Also how fast are you pushing the plunger. It should take you about 30 seconds to empty it.

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Never did hear back from Hanna. I sent the note through their contact page on the website.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I learned after not noticing there was a gasket and it fell out. If you use it and some stuff gets past the filter into the vial then likely next test won’t work even if you do it right unless you rinse out the filter holder with regular water without a filter in it to clear out any particulate that is inside. Once you do that and always check the gasket before you tighten. And make it tight. It works. Instructions are horrible though. For me worth it because I just can’t see colors well enough.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!
I love all my Hanna Egg Testers.
Well at least the two 4 I have (Phosphate, Phospourus, Copper and Alk).
They are Great. QUick and Accurate, Fairly Consistant and Reliable.

Even turned my Hanna Alk Test Egg into a DIY Robotic 3 Tank Alk Monitor.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/★-diy-auto-★-alkalinity-monitor-★-3-tank-hanna-with-raspberry-pi-ardiuno-with-advanced-features.689106/

This Nitrate Egg sounds like a bit of a chore. Salifert does the job for Nitrate testing for me.
After all, how often do you really need to test nitrate. I test every 3-4 months on a Stable Tank.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I learned after not noticing there was a gasket and it fell out. If you use it and some stuff gets past the filter into the vial then likely next test won’t work even if you do it right unless you rinse out the filter holder with regular water without a filter in it to clear out any particulate that is inside. Once you do that and always check the gasket before you tighten. And make it tight. It works. Instructions are horrible though. For me worth it because I just can’t see colors well enough.
From bottom to top..could someone tell me the order...just want to make sure I'm putting the gasket on right.
I have it.. bottom output then didc ridges facing up then gasket? Then paper.. the disc ridges facing down..inside of top piece. With all discs lined up with their 4 crosshair slots matching the 4 crosshair notches of their respective pieces they go into. (Top & bottom)

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna LR Nitrate checker has a new problem. It reads LoL (Low Light) and INU (inverted cuvette)

It's going back to Hanna for possible "calibration". I just want it to work. This one is a replacement from my original one that broke after about 6 weeks of ownership.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna LR Nitrate checker has a new problem. It reads LoL (Low Light) and INU (inverted cuvette)

It's going back to Hanna for possible "calibration". I just want it to work. This one is a replacement from my original one that broke after about 6 weeks of ownership.

Is your solution in the vial totally clear when you put it in for the C1? If the zinc is making it past the filter you can get those errors.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From bottom to top..could someone tell me the order...just want to make sure I'm putting the gasket on right.
I have it.. bottom output then didc ridges facing up then gasket? Then paper.. the disc ridges facing down..inside of top piece. With all discs lined up with their 4 crosshair slots matching the 4 crosshair notches of their respective pieces they go into. (Top & bottom)

That sounds correct. I usually place the filter paper on the top side, on top of the disc to make sure it’s lined up well.

It also needs to be tightened really well. Don’t be frighten to tighten it down well to seal that gasket.

Last edited:

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds correct. I usually place the filter paper on the top side, on top of the disc to make sure it’s lined up well.

It also needs to be tightened really well. Don’t be frighten to tighten it down well to seal that gasket.

Actually I take that back… the gasket goes in the side labeled “top” on top of the disc. The top side is the one that screws into the syringe.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is how I do it:

Find the bottom piece (the piece where the end liquid comes out) make sure the plastic grooves disc is in it. The circle grooves should point up. The white rubber gasket should not be on it.

Notice how the top of the bottom piece looks like a cup with the threads making the walls? We want the filter in that cup. We do not want the filter on the ridge of the cup, it should be in the cup.

Now take the top piece, the part that will screw into the syringe. Put the plastic plate with grooves in it with the circle holes pointing down (the circle parts should be on the open side, the crosshairs pointing towards the inside). I do not line up the crosshairs as I think the liquid goes through this holes.

Put the rubber gasket into the top part. Make sure to push it all the way in around the edges.

Now screw the top on the bottom. Make sure not to cross thread it. The gasket will tighten down on the lip of the bottom cup making the seal.

badger89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now getting the Iun error now :( and my salinity pack up two week again

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought one and after seeing a video of the number of steps required to perform a test, I'm having 2nd thoughts. I'll report back once I do my first test and see what issues I run into.

On the filter part with the gasket, just how tight are you screwing the two pieces together? A video I saw said super tight otherwise it will all just dribble out but from experience I know something if you over torque gaskets it can do the same thing.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back