Hanna Magnesium checker

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1664398994857.png

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see if these new checkers work any better. I'm actually glad I didn't jump on the bandwagon when it first came out. Like I did with the LR nitrate checker. >.<

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a brand new checker from my LFS. Seems they have really changed things up.
There is a powder reagent B now. Haven't had a chance to test it yet. Will do so this weekend.
1664866930087.png

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They replaced mine over here in the UK a couple of months ago.. Local fish shop had all theirs replaced also! :)

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from Hanna Instruments,

I am on the aquarium team, here to address the Magnesium Checker issue.

I am posting this same message on various threads regarding the Magnesium Checker so that as many people as possible get the information.

First, here is an FAQ with answers:

1) What happened?
As many of you know, Hanna Instruments prides itself in accuracy. We do extensive R&D before releasing products – what happened with the Magnesium Checker was a unique combination of unexpected factors. Our manufacturing facility is in Romania, and shipments from Eastern Europe were delayed in the Spring due to events in that area. With this, the initial batch of Magnesium products were in cargo storage for longer than anticipated. While the cargo containers sat for extended periods in the Spring, the temperature in the containers increased. This resulted in longer than usual exposure to higher than usual temperatures, which in turn caused one of the reagents to expire early. The products passed R&D inspection on site, and we’ve never had them degrade in transit before, which is why we were surprised about the issue at first. And why we are grateful that users like yourselves reported it!

2) What did Hanna do to fix the products?
The issue was one reagent expiring early during extended high-temperature exposure in the cargo containers. To fix this, we were able to greatly improve the temperature stability of this reagent by reformulating it from a liquid to a powder. This means that Reagent B is now a powder for this product. Our other Checkers have a timer built in for the dissolution of the powder reagent, so we added that to the new Magnesium Checkers too. That is the only difference in devices, but because of that, we are sending everyone who purchased the initial version a new Checker with the timer built in!

3) Why has it taken so long?
Resolving this issue took several steps. First we had to reformulate Reagent B into a powder. Then we had to add the timer into the production process for the Checkers. Once those updates were made, we had to repackage all the previously produced items with the updated ones. And of course, we had to figure out the logistics of replacing these items both for customers such as yourselves, and bulk purchasers like LFSs and major websites. We also found new transport options to avoid extended international shipping delays in the future.

4) How is Hanna going to make this right for the people who already purchased?
We will send everyone who fills out this form: HI783 Marine Checker Reagent Issue Form free replacements for whatever Magnesium items (Checker and/or Extra Reagent Packages) were purchased. Please fill out all fields!

5) How do I know if I am in queue for the replacements after submitting the above form?
I receive all the form submissions. My apologies that there is not a confirmation, but once you hit submit I do receive it. We are on track to have all current form submissions fulfilled by the end of October, and new submissions as soon as possible thereafter.

Please see our official customer letter below for more details:

1664901872866.png

These Magnesium items will be available again from your LFS and online sources soon.
Thank you for your patience as we have resolved this issue!

All the Best,
Hanna Instruments

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from Hanna Instruments,

I am on the aquarium team, here to address the Magnesium Checker issue.

I am posting this same message on various threads regarding the Magnesium Checker so that as many people as possible get the information.

First, here is an FAQ with answers:

1) What happened?
As many of you know, Hanna Instruments prides itself in accuracy. We do extensive R&D before releasing products – what happened with the Magnesium Checker was a unique combination of unexpected factors. Our manufacturing facility is in Romania, and shipments from Eastern Europe were delayed in the Spring due to events in that area. With this, the initial batch of Magnesium products were in cargo storage for longer than anticipated. While the cargo containers sat for extended periods in the Spring, the temperature in the containers increased. This resulted in longer than usual exposure to higher than usual temperatures, which in turn caused one of the reagents to expire early. The products passed R&D inspection on site, and we’ve never had them degrade in transit before, which is why we were surprised about the issue at first. And why we are grateful that users like yourselves reported it!

2) What did Hanna do to fix the products?
The issue was one reagent expiring early during extended high-temperature exposure in the cargo containers. To fix this, we were able to greatly improve the temperature stability of this reagent by reformulating it from a liquid to a powder. This means that Reagent B is now a powder for this product. Our other Checkers have a timer built in for the dissolution of the powder reagent, so we added that to the new Magnesium Checkers too. That is the only difference in devices, but because of that, we are sending everyone who purchased the initial version a new Checker with the timer built in!

3) Why has it taken so long?
Resolving this issue took several steps. First we had to reformulate Reagent B into a powder. Then we had to add the timer into the production process for the Checkers. Once those updates were made, we had to repackage all the previously produced items with the updated ones. And of course, we had to figure out the logistics of replacing these items both for customers such as yourselves, and bulk purchasers like LFSs and major websites. We also found new transport options to avoid extended international shipping delays in the future.

4) How is Hanna going to make this right for the people who already purchased?
We will send everyone who fills out this form: HI783 Marine Checker Reagent Issue Form free replacements for whatever Magnesium items (Checker and/or Extra Reagent Packages) were purchased. Please fill out all fields!

5) How do I know if I am in queue for the replacements after submitting the above form?
I receive all the form submissions. My apologies that there is not a confirmation, but once you hit submit I do receive it. We are on track to have all current form submissions fulfilled by the end of October, and new submissions as soon as possible thereafter.

Please see our official customer letter below for more details:

1664901872866.png

These Magnesium items will be available again from your LFS and online sources soon.
Thank you for your patience as we have resolved this issue!

All the Best,
Hanna Instruments
I can't find my receipt so I assume the new checkers just have an inbuilt timer function and that's all that's changed with them? So I can use my original checker with the new powder reagent and use a timer on my phone or something?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find my receipt so I assume the new checkers just have an inbuilt timer function and that's all that's changed with them? So I can use my original checker with the new powder reagent and use a timer on my phone or something?

They said the only change to the device was the timer so you should be fine.

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't you ask the place you bought it from to re-issue you a receipt? I know it's just a small thing, but you should get the full quality and functionality of whatever you bought. I would be bummed... but then again, I'm quite ocd with regards to stuff like this.

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, only change on the device is the timer. You can use the new powder with the old checker, just start a 3 minute timer after you mix the powder - press start right when you put the cuvette in for C2. That said - if you can get a re-issue receipt, we'll get you the new one!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just summitted a question on Hanna's website about this and I received this notice:

THANK YOU FOR POSTING A QUESTION!
Please click on the link in the confirmation email we just sent you to submit your question.
Your question will appear on the site once someone answers it.

So, if they don't like the question, it does not appear on their website.

Take that for what you will...

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just submitted a question on Hanna's website about this and I received this notice:

THANK YOU FOR POSTING A QUESTION!
Please click on the link in the confirmation email we just sent you to submit your question.
Your question will appear on the site once someone answers it.

So, if they don't like the question, it does not appear on their website.

Take that for what you will... #hannahinstruments

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting on mine. Received an email like everyone else. Filled out the form and gave the correct information and it's been dead silent since? Little frustrated to say the least as I've got a salinity meter thats junk too.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%

Back