Hanna nitrate results

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 28, 2021
Messages
1,403
Reaction score
1,161
Location
Arkansas
What state or country do you live in
Arkansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did an api nitrate test on our 125 last night and it showed 80 or so nitrate. Wife got me a Hanna checker so I tried it and it's a pretty involved process. No idea if I did it correctly but got a reading of 3.87. Does this sound right at all? Any conversion I need to do?

Thanks!
 
Which Hanna kit? I bought the low range first and turned around and sold it because it was a pain to use. I have the high range now which just uses a packet of reagent similarly to their ulr phosphate tester and it has been accurate. I have only compared to salifert. I'm not a fan of API kits. They were ok for freshwater but not so much for salt.
 
Like previous post, I use Hanna Nitrate HR (High Range) and find it easy and accurate.
*note that specs on Nitrate HR show range of 0-75ppm so if you're really at 80ppm, that'd be out of range (for Hanna HR checker)
 
Like previous post, I use Hanna Nitrate HR (High Range) and find it easy and accurate.
*note that specs on Nitrate HR show range of 0-75ppm so if you're really at 80ppm, that'd be out of range (for Hanna HR checker)
Yeah but it would still show 75 right? Question I think is what could he have possibly done wrong to get a 3.87? Even if api was off by 20 that seems extreme.
 
Yeah but it would still show 75 right? Question I think is what could he have possibly done wrong to get a 3.87? Even if api was off by 20 that seems extreme.
No idea what would happen if sample was out of range,,, although I would've guessed error or show 75 like you said,,, but not sure.

Are you using the Hanna Nitrate HR checker or some other, LR/etc?

EDIT -- Only other thought is to double-check your process since it's a new checker to you:
*assuming Nitrate HR
1. C1 = sample water
2. Add reagent and shake for 2 minutes
3. C2 = HOLD the button for a few seconds until the 7 minute timer starts

...if you don't HOLD at step 3, you wouldn't get the necessary 7 minutes for reagent to react on sample
 
Last edited:
You are assuming your API test was correct to begin with. 80 is very high. Not impossibly high, but very high.

Between API and Hanna I would trust Hanna, but if you want peace of mind, I would buy a third option. Repeat each of the three tests several times to ensure consistent results. Triangulate. You can't really make any conclusion on just two data sources.

Also you mentioned your Hanna test was "involved." Sounds like you may have the LR test. I would go HR, especially if you suspect your Nitrate is way up there.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new