Hanna phosphate checker HI 713

Billyreef-ita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the conversion is needed only if you have the checker mesuring phosphorus (HI 736). Yours gives you directly phosphates

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question….Just did a test for phosphates with Hanna HI713. Reading is 0.66. How do I convert this into the correct reading, if not already? This seems quite high?
That is 0.66 ppm. No correction needed

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m in dire need of a water change at these levels? I’m assuming this is quite high?
Yep, that’s high, but not dire. WC will help get it down some. What’s the root cause of the higher PO4? Are you over feeding a lot? Is something dead in there that you can’t see? The usual culprits..

Homestarmy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dealing with a similar situation - my phosphates were running high at .34ppm. I picked up a bottle of Phosphate Rx. Using a greatly reduced dosage (recommended for my situation was 60 drops, I used 15) dropped levels down to .18 overnight. The following day I did another 5 drops and levels dropped again to .11ppm. Did another 5 drops and it stayed flat at .11ppm, so maybe a maintenance dose at that level, only time will tell. Doing a water change today and then we'll see where it's at tomorrow before I consider another dose.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are not a good way to deal with elevated P since even a 100% change will leave a lot going into the next batch of water as it desorbs from rock and sand.

OP
OP
Torontotraders

Torontotraders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that’s high, but not dire. WC will help get it down some. What’s the root cause of the higher PO4? Are you over feeding a lot? Is something dead in there that you can’t see? The usual culprits..
It’s a fairly new tank. And I’ve been feeding pretty heavily, (these tangs are pigs!) not to mention I was just telling the wife that I haven’t seen a couple of our snails lately. So makes complete sense. Thanks

Homestarmy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best to find the root cause and correct it without chemicals. Might have had a few snails die off causing the increase.
I don't disagree, in fact I don't really like chemical fixes, but I felt like I was spiraling a little out of control, algae growth that my CUC wasn't keeping up with along with parameters that were fluctuating a little too much for my liking, so I decided to give this a try and see how it works.

As for the snail comment - that might actually be a part of it - I had a couple of Nasarius Snails hook up awhile back and now I have a tone of the little buggers in my tank. Can't imagine they're all surviving.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't disagree, in fact I don't really like chemical fixes, but I felt like I was spiraling a little out of control, algae growth that my CUC wasn't keeping up with along with parameters that were fluctuating a little too much for my liking, so I decided to give this a try and see how it works.

As for the snail comment - that might actually be a part of it - I had a couple of Nasarius Snails hook up awhile back and now I have a tone of the little buggers in my tank. Can't imagine they're all surviving.
I totally get it. I did the same thing when my PO4 jacked up to .5 Turns out I h lost my YWG in his borough so I didn’t know until he vanished for a week and phosphate spiked. I just talk to folks that use the chemicals as part of their weekly regiment, which isn’t ideal. But it sounds like you already know all this stuff, so it was more for the OP.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back