Hanna Phosphate Checker, wrong one?

Terr-c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my Hanna Phosphate tester and after testing realized I bought the Low Range instead of the Ultra Low. My phosphates are at zero on the Hanna. Should I exchange the tester for the Ultra Low? I'm thinking I'll never know the true reading?

Fallenreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would exchange it if that is an option. I personally use the ultra low phosphate checker

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my Hanna Phosphate tester and after testing realized I bought the Low Range instead of the Ultra Low. My phosphates are at zero on the Hanna. Should I exchange the tester for the Ultra Low? I'm thinking I'll never know the true reading?
If you are going to lose sleep over it, exchange it. But as far as knowing the “true” level of PO4, that you will never know. All that the ULR Checker will give you is a reading only a little closer to the true value.

OP
OP
Terr-c

Terr-c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to lose sleep over it, exchange it. But as far as knowing the “true” level of PO4, that you will never know. All that the ULR Checker will give you is a reading only a little closer to the true value.
Dan_P I'm just wondering if I should at least know if I have even small amounts?

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new one reads in ppB but converts it to ppm so you no longer have to do it manually, if it's reading 0.00 expect it to be within a few points of that according to the checkers range of accuracywhich if I'm not mistaken is +-0.03ppm

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan_P I'm just wondering if I should at least know if I have even small amounts?
A target PO4 concentration for a reef aquarium is around 0.03 ppm. If you use the LR Checker and the real value is 0.03 ppm, you can expect to read a value between 0 and 0.07 ppm. If you use the ULR Checker, you would expect to read a value between 0.015 and 0.045 ppm. Reef keepers are super concerned about PO4 concentration and feel they need the higher precision ULR Checker.

If you would be more comfortable with the higher precision instrument, make the switch. If you don’t buy-in to the need to control PO4 so exactly, stay with the LR.

OP
OP
Terr-c

Terr-c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new one reads in ppB but converts it to ppm so you no longer have to do it manually, if it's reading 0.00 expect it to be within a few points of that according to the checkers range of accuracywhich if I'm not mistaken is +-0.03ppm
Copingwithpods, Thank you for the info.
A target PO4 concentration for a reef aquarium is around 0.03 ppm. If you use the LR Checker and the real value is 0.03 ppm, you can expect to read a value between 0 and 0.07 ppm. If you use the ULR Checker, you would expect to read a value between 0.015 and 0.045 ppm. Reef keepers are super concerned about PO4 concentration and feel they need the higher precision ULR Checker.

If you would be more comfortable with the higher precision instrument, make the switch. If you don’t buy-in to the need to control PO4 so exactly, stay with the LR.

Dan_P I do frequent water changes, about 20% every two weeks and clean my filters and such weekly. So I'm guessing the LR will work just fine. I just cleaned my sump for the first time last night, what a train wreck. LOL My experiment of using my small carpet spot cleaner to suck out the water didn't quite work. My tank is only 4 months new and I just worry about getting hair algae! Was basically using the checker to make sure the phosphates don't get out of control. I do tend to over fed, can't help myself. I feel the need to make sure the slower, shy fish get food.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copingwithpods, Thank you for the info.

Dan_P I do frequent water changes, about 20% every two weeks and clean my filters and such weekly. So I'm guessing the LR will work just fine. I just cleaned my sump for the first time last night, what a train wreck. LOL My experiment of using my small carpet spot cleaner to suck out the water didn't quite work. My tank is only 4 months new and I just worry about getting hair algae! Was basically using the checker to make sure the phosphates don't get out of control. I do tend to over fed, can't help myself. I feel the need to make sure the slower, shy fish get food.
Fish like other pets are hard not to feed. I feed my dogs a lower than recommended amount of dog food so they maintain their weight while getting plenty of treats and hand outs from me during the day. Happily, phosphates are not a concern with dogs :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back