Hanna phosphate ULR

Cdime712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently purchased this test kit this test kit. Hanna HI774 Phosphate. I got a reading of .90 I need to know if this is to high. What ppm I need to have. I've been having some issues with algae. Please any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.90 is the top of the range it reads and is an unusually high value to register in a reef tank unless you are having significant water quality problems. I would try a few more tests, closely following directions to see if it is your error or Hanna's. One thing that I didn't do when I first got mine was to hold down/release the black button after 3 seconds to start the 3 minute countdown after I had added the reagent. This gave me the same reading of .90

Good luck.

OP
OP
Cdime712

Cdime712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.90 is the top of the range it reads and is an unusually high value to register in a reef tank unless you are having significant water quality problems. I would try a few more tests, closely following directions to see if it is your error or Hanna's. One thing that I didn't do when I first got mine was to hold down/release the black button after 3 seconds to start the 3 minute countdown after I had added the reagent. This gave me the same reading of .90

Good luck.
I follow direction as it was stated in even went on YouTube.

OP
OP
Cdime712

Cdime712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20210518_203040.jpg
    20210518_203040.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 42

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you probably want to research using GFO, Lanthanum Chloride, etc. to bring phosphate down. If it is this high, I don't think water changes will do much good.

OP
OP
Cdime712

Cdime712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck.
I add

Good luck.
I add the water from my tank to the 10ml. Push the button and waited for the C1 to appear. Put the glass tube inside and push the button and waited for it to ask for C2. At at the powder shook for 3 minutes then held down the button for 2 seconds waiting for 3 minutes to complete. This is the reading I got twice.

OP
OP
Cdime712

Cdime712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you probably want to research using GFO, Lanthanum Chloride, etc. to bring it down. If it is this high, I don't think water changes will do much good.
Point to the site or where to get the info please.

fisheriesdoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add

I add the water from my tank to the 10ml. Push the button and waited for the C1 to appear. Put the glass tube inside and push the button and waited for it to ask for C2. At at the powder shook for 3 minutes then held down the button for 2 seconds waiting for 3 minutes to complete. This is the reading I got twice.
I think you are supposed to shake it for two minutes?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use the term "lowering phosphate" in the search box at upper right corner of this site you'll find a wealth of research/discussion

OP
OP
Cdime712

Cdime712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use the term "lowering phosphate" in the search box at upper right corner of this site you'll find a wealth of research/discussion
Had a question if you can please. ppm .90 . Do I have to do any math or is it the right reading for my phosphate.

OP
OP
Cdime712

Cdime712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest diluting your sample and try again. Add 5mL of tank water and 5mL of RODI water. Do the rest of the test per the instructions. Whatever result you get, multiply by 2 to get the true value.
Question on a Hanna test kit?

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.9 could be the correct level---but it could also be at the top end of detection and therefore a false reading. I don't have the Hanna instructions on me right now. That's why I'm suggesting doing a 50% dilution to double-check. You'll get a lot of different opinions on what the "right" level of phosphate should be. I'm no expert, but I'd suggest around 0.05 ppm. Problem with HI774 is that at the lower end of detection, the margin of error makes it hard to determine true values down that low. I went and bought the ultralow Phosphorus one (HI736) instead to solve that problem

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back